Chapter Two

Chapter 2

A week passed by in a blur. Seven days of packing and getting ready for a whole summer across the country really takes time. Of course I had help from Kenny, but even then it took the whole week. Even so, sitting in the backseat of my grandma's car, on the way to the airport, I couldn't feel less prepared, and I even felt a little nervous. I wouldn't know any of the people.

"Alright, so Gregory will be riding with you since you're underage and since he's helping manage the camp this year. One of the main workers quit and they had no time to hire someone completely new." My grandma explained.

"Whatever. Come on, Jen, let's get you on the plane." Kenny said, opening his car door and then walking to the trunk where he pulled out one of my suitcases and an oversized bag. I took the other suitcase and followed him in to the airport with my grandma right behind me.

Gregory raised from a seat inside the airport and gradually walked toward us. He was a little tall and lanky for my liking, but he looked laid back, which was something I admired in a person. As he approached us, he smiled.

"Thank you for doing this Greg." My grandma said, and she actually smiled. I was taken aback.

"Not a problem, Vienna."

Where had my week gone? I was not one for being scared, but as I watched Kenny and my grandma drive away, I was completely terrified.

Although Gregory seemed like a really sweet guy, I couldn't help but expect the worst from him. He was a reasonable age, probably in his late fifties, early sixties. His hair was oh so obviously dyed black, and matching his dark brown eyes. He had a lot of hair for his age, which surprised me because my dad was already starting to loose hair before he became addicted to drugs, and he was about twenty years younger. Must be the genes.

"I promise you," Gregory started, "this summer camp won't be as bad as you think."

He sounded so reassuring. If only he could've been right.

I gave him a smile and nod. "Sorry if I'm being rude. Maybe it's the realization that I'm going across the country and I'm going to be all alone."

"Trust me, kids show up to this camp. I've seen the outcome, and it's pretty settling. You'll make friends in no time, girl like you."

"Girl like me?"

"Well I guess it can go either way. Girls can either hate you because you're a pretty tiny little thing, or they can want to be your friend. I can see the way you're looking at me right now, I'm a therapist in case you were wondering." He said.

"That makes sense. So how did you meet my grandmother?"

"Your grandmother and I, we really like each other you see, and since I'm going to be on this plane with you for another couple of hours, I probably should tell you that I'm going to ask her to marry me."

I thought my eyes were going to come out of their sockets. My jaw dropped. How ironic was it that someone like my grandmother could find love but I still couldn't. "So you're going to be like my grandpa?" I asked.

"Well, yes if she accepts, which I'm praying she will." He smiled. "I do have your approval, right?"

"If you really love her, then yes. You've got my approval."

"Great. So I don't want to sound too obsessive, but tell me what she likes. I want to surprise her."

"Well, she likes old, cheesy things. If it were me, I'd surprise her with something that happens in the movies." I paused. "Ooh, she loves to skate. What's your budget?"

"Anything for her." He said dreamily. It was kind of sickening in a way.

"Alright. You need to rent out one of those really old skating rinks, the ones that make you feel like your back in the 1800s. Get her a nice dinner and oh, classical music is the key to success!" I began to get excited over the idea. "She hates modern day music. Hold her hand while you guys skate, have dinner, get on one knee and just ask. There is no way she could say no."

"Wow, aren't you quite the planner."

"What can I say? I watch a lot of movies."

"Do you have a lot of friends in California?"

I gave him a strange look and he held his hands up in surrender.

"Therapist, remember."

"Yeah, I had a lot of friends. Good friends? Maybe not so much. They get me in a lot of trouble, but they also get me out of a lot of trouble."

"You'll meet a lot of new people at this camp. A lot of boys." He gave me a little side smirk.

"Aren't you supposed to be steering me away from boys?"

"I'm going to warn you. There'll be some juveniles there. You'll know them when you see them. Parents these days are doing anything to keep their kids out of jail, especially a certain group of boys."

"Juveniles?" My eyes widened slightly.

"Yeah, but it'll be fine." He assured me. "Just steer clear from them and you'll have a great time."

That was easier said than done, Gregory.

--

Next chapter is CAMP :) get excited bc drama is about to occur!

-kelsey