Chapter one

The feeling of ice cold fingertips on my neck had me shooting up in utter shock. A creaky screech of terror that didn't even have the decency to carry the same frequency the whole way through emitted from my throat. Above me, loud cackling interrupted my sorry excuse for a scream.

I groaned rubbing the now sore area of my neck that my best friends hands had resided only seconds ago. She shot me a cheeky smile in response, bouncing the tips of her knees lightly on the edge of my bed, while systematically pulsating her rough hands on my chest in an attempt to show her excitement.

I gave her a blank look, it was too soon to be so aggressively awoken by her chirpy attitude. She pouted at my look, but ignored it nevertheless before claiming in a pitch that was much too high for this time in the morning "Eve I have exciting news! Just hear me out I swear you won't be disappointed."

"It couldn't wait-" I paused looking over at the clock beside my bed that red 6:30 in bright red blazing numbers "-until 9 at least."

She ignored my words, her excitement still not making any room for anything that could hinder her news. "Well-" she started, dragging out the word out farther than I thought possible or necessary. She shot me a look, and I got the message. I gave her an annoyed look before dramatically taking in a deep breath. "I bought us tickets for that new carnival in town" she exclaimed her eyes glinting.

It is way to early to match her enthusiasm I thought bitterly. She stared back at me wide eyed, and expectant. I let out the breath I was holding, a weird tradition we have had since high school, to add importance to whatever news is to be shared.

"So that's where your rent money went to this month huh" I told her only half-jokingly. It had been like this since we first moved into this apartment together, Hannah would always get too worked up in her crazy ideas-such as the one presented at the moment- that she would just forget about simple things like laundry, and paying rent. I never worried too much though she somehow always pulled through even if it's last minute or maybe just a little bit too late and she had to beg the landlord who couldn't resist her large doe eyes and silky blonde hair.

Her shoulders sagged slightly when she realized I didn't quite meet her same enthusiasm to the news. Regret ran through me and even though I was still barely keeping my bleary eyes open I wanted to jump up and down to give her the reaction she had wanted. I sighed "Sorry i'm just really tired for some reason."

She gave me a look and I nodded confirming that it was one of those days. A grimace formed on her face, she knew all too well about my weird sleeping habits. It wasn't because I didn't get enough sleep, because let's face it, who even gets sleep especially when your in college. It was just that I had extreme amplifications of what it felt like to be tired. It was like I had woke up hungover and had the flu. I had body aches equipped with nausea and an overly bitchy mood. Hannah had been there through every one of these weird funks and usually absorbed the brunt of the storm that was myself.

Trying to change the subject and make up for my piss poor attitude I grabbed the tickets from her hand and waved them around. "So when is this night of magical wonders going to happen" I smirked quoting the headline of the ticket.

A large grin overtook her face and she clapped her hands ecastically. "Tonight so get up so we can go buy killer outfits."

Within 15 minutes Hannah had managed to get us both in the car, her persistent nagging was the only thing that helped me get ready in quite possibly my fastest time yet. It was only 7 and the mall didn't even open until 8 so I had no idea why she was rushing me in the first place, but I assumed her excitement was obstructing her discernment and rationality from mind.