Soulless Corpses

Policeman Alexander Dwayne sat perfectly still on his chair, rocking it back and forth as he stared on the ceiling. The day was peaceful for him he thanked God no one ever bothered him. He was on duty, but his boredom struck too fast. He couldn't believe he was actually sitting on his chair, doing nothing. On normal occasions, he would stroll around the town and look for some hoodlums and he would arrest them quickly.

He was thinking of going out on patrol, but something happened too quickly. The ground shook and everything around him was moving, even the windows and the doors started to shake. The shake was subtle and it immediately stopped. The middle-aged cop thought it was just a major quake, so he just shrugged it off. He quietly lit up his cigarette, the smoke filling the air as he blew. It made him feel at ease. He liked it inside the station.

"Hey! The ground just moved!" he yelled over to his partner who was in the other side of the room, doing something good.

"Yeah, yeah. Just ignore the fucking quake, Alex. Just do your thing!" Alex's partner, Mike Anderson, yelled back at him. After that, everything went back to normal. Just then, the back door opened. He was too tired to check who went it, so he remained on his seat. He heard footsteps coming from the back door but he decided to ignore it.

Must be Shelby, he thought.

Minutes had passed and the only noise in the station was the creak of his chair as he shifted his weight in it. He blew another smoke, but this time, the ground shook harder. He quickly stood up and almost lost his balance. Thankfully, the wall kept him from falling. He glanced at his left side and he could see a portion of his hometown, which was weird. The people began to run and the cars were left alone. Screams filled his hometown. An hour ago, he was pretty sure that everybody was walking peacefully on the street and the others were doing something to relieve themselves.

"What the hell is going on?" he mumbled to himself.

He wasn't sure what was going on anymore. Earlier, everything was fine, but now... The street was in chaos. He felt anxious. "Fucking earthquake," he cursed, throwing away his cigarrete on the bin. After that, he heard another scream – a nasty scream that his hair on his back literally stood up. The scream came inside the station and it was familiar. The scream came from his partner, Mike Anderson.

He gulped and braced himself. Something weird was definitely going on around him and he couldn't let that pass through. Maybe the quake destroyed something valuable to Mike that it got him into screaming. His breathing hitched as he slowly took out his revolver.

The cop frowned and headed toward his partner's door. "Hey, Mike? Something's wrong? Mike? You hear me?"

There was no answer.

He reached for the doorknob and turned it, the creaking of the door was creeping him out. "Fuck this," he cursed and kicked the door open. Once inside, he quickly extended his arms, his revolver in his hands. He fired at the first person he saw, the booming sound almost deafening him. But as soon as he fired the first bullet, the person luckily evaded the metal.

"Sweet Jesus, Alex! What the fuck?!"

It took Alex five seconds to process what he just did. He almost killed his partner.

"Oh, shit! Mike! I didn't see you there!" he yelled, letting go of his revolver.

"You didn't?! You did. Don't fucking deny it."

"Well, it wasn't really my fault. You screamed, you moron. How am I supposed to know? Besides--"

"Shit! Fuck! What the hell is that thing?! Alex, move!"

Alex only raised his eyebrows at his partner, but deep inside he knew something bad will happen.

"What?"

When he turned his head to check, however, he discovered a person whose face was covered in blood. The person was moaning and he definitely emitted a foul odor.

"Oh. It's Shelby. Hi, Shelly. What's up? Why are you covered with blood? Don't you think you're too old for that kind of thing? C'mon, Shell. Let's get you cleaned up."

Mike knew something was off. Shelby was acting weird and the way he talks changed too. He was just producing disturbing noises. Mike watched as his fellow cop wrapped his right hand over Shelby's neck, laughing. "Alex, stay away from him!"

But it was too late.

--------

Lucas Harrison's Diary

12/23/2019

Yes, I am Lucas Harrison. I graduated in San Fransisco and right after graduation, my parents and I moved in New York. It took me months to adjust myself fully. It was kind of difficult, actually. Wonderful things had happened to me in New York. I got myself a beautiful girlfriend, Jane Herring. She was my everything. She was my everything, yet...