PROLOGUE

Every inch of my body was aching. Though the cold downpour managed to numb my senses even just by a fraction.

This is so not my day.

I squeezed my side to staunch the blood flow. But who am I kidding? Taking a direct hit with a knife near your kidney won't kill you, but the bleeding will. In other words, I'd better find a place to stay. I doubt sitting under an oak tree is much of a good idea.

Why was I injured?

Hell, I worked as a butler. Double hell, I worked as a butler with assassin-spy like skills. In which, if I may add, is something I kept as a secret. No one in their right mind would hire a butler/assassin/spy with thoughts of getting killed in their sleep. My "co-butlers" kinda found out--they were jealous of the fact that our master favored me--and ratted me out to the master, who (again if I may add), was a walking pound of anxiety and paranoia, and is a sadistic psychopath. He freaked out with joy and tried to gut me while I was serving his dinner. That event will cause me to have nightmares for as long as I live. I thought that was the worse case scenario, but noooooo. The jackass just had to call his bodyguards who tried to shoot holes through me. I ran, blah blah blah, and ended up here. In my soon to be deathbed. Unless I get out of here.

Yeah. I should definitely try to get out of here.

Mustering what was left of my energy, I forced myself up and began my quest for a place to crash. But lo and behold, I immediately passed out after what? 5 or 6 steps? It was a highway straight to oblivion.