Sam

I'm in a cage, and the same paralyzing poison that seeps from my claws has been used against me. How did anyone get it from me?

"Sam... what were you thinking?" Gineveive's voice hurts me to hear, and I'm reminded of what I had done,  I wasn't thinking. I don't even know why I'm still in owl form, the last time I changed it only took a couple of hours to switch back.

"Tony said you'd be fine in a little bit, but it took 24 hours Sam, I don't even want to think about next time." Next time. I move my wing a little bit to find that the paralytic has worn off some.

"I know that seeing the file on your mom has hurt you, but you overreacted, you could've killed Peter if you had let more poison out of your claws." Yeah, I know, I feel horrible for it to. I didn't mean to hurt him in the first place.

"I'm sorry!" My fist bangs on the bars and I realize that I'm human again, and that I said that out loud. Concern grows in her eyes along with hurt. I try and change the subject.

"Did you have this cage specifically designed for me or something?" Her shoulders shrug and she moves towards me.

"Wait, Gineveive..." Tony stands up from a chair that was in a darker area of the room.

"Sam, it was just a contingency plan, we have one for everyone, including myself-" I interrupt him by clearing my throat and unlocking the cage myself.

"I'm not upset Tony, although, I didn't mean to hurt Peter, and I didn't mean to yell at anyone," I look at Gineveive with my apology. Her eyes crinkle in response and I can tell she's not upset anymore. My hands itch to feel her hair as I walk forward to hug her, her lips brush my cheek and I chuckle just to release the strength that it takes to show self control.

"I guess you two need time to talk about what just happened, so I'll just... leave you to your antics." Tony's uncomfortable tone makes Gineveive giggle and I go to pull her closer to me and feel her stomach tighten in surprise.

"I've got the rest of the files in my room if you want to go there," she whispers in my ear and I feel a deep love for her explode into my chest.

"Would I?" The question isn't even fair to ask her, but she's too fun to tease.

"Don't do that Sam..." Her voice fades into a kiss and I lift her up into my arms bridal style, causing her to whine in protest and break the connection.

"Sam, no-!" I ignore her weak and embarrassed plea for me to let her go until we reach her room and send both of us tumbling to the bed in a fit of laughter.

"So, who got you the files?" She bites her lip and pulls them out from under her pillow.

"I told your uncle I was curious about what had made you so upset and he gave them to me as a secret." Wow, she is amazing. I go to grab a hold of them and she takes them back a little with a serious look on her face.

"When I show you these, you have to promise you won't leave me." My eyebrows arc and I squeeze her hand in reassurance.

"I promise that whatever is in those files, that I will never ever leave you Gineveive Boltagon." She looks up tearfully when I say this and I put the unopened file down.

"Gin, what's wrong?" My hand scrapes across her cheek where a large raindrop started to fall, while her shaking hand fits on top of it.

"I've already read all the files Sam, you're not going to like what happe-" I cut her off with my lips gently laid on hers.

"I. Will. Not. Leave. You." She nods, picks up the file to hand it to me and lays her head on my shoulder. The manilla threatens me in the oddest way and I slide my finger down it's edge only to get a paper cut. Blood, my blood, stains the card stock paper and I'm able to open it only because of the dark distraction. Inside a thin tablet's black face stares back at my pale one. I press the power button and find the pictures already up. My mother's wide, smiling, eyes look at me with such kindness, who could've ever wanted to kill her?

The screen slides to the next image and it's her hugging a five year old me with tears running down her face. Another shows a documentation of my mother's death and my father crying over her limp body. A video pops up and she's talking in the camera.

"I guess I'm dead if someone's watching this... so I would like to apologize for the inconvenience of feelings, I know what it feels like to lose someone you're close to and I know what it feels like to all of a sudden have them back." The clip ends, and I throw the device across the room making Gineveive jump from the sudden movement.

No.

She can't be alive.

I saw the toxicology reports.

She died from poison.

She's not alive.

The poison completely destroyed her lungs.

The possibility has the same effect.

I can't... won't believe it.

What if... ?

No.