Chapter Three: Memories

Lukas still didn't like the idea of leaving Kaolin, but he had to admit, he understood the reason. Mistral was like a comet – and that was with the extra weight of him and the two stone baskets attached to her tail. In no time at all, they passed the bronze form of his partner. At this speed, her slow movements seemed just a struggle to remain airborne. It took slightly longer to catch the rider-less water dragon, who didn't quite have her bulk. Finally, the specks on the horizon resolved into the ruby, golden, and obsidian beasts of the other teams. They couldn't all stock up and set off at the same time, so they'd set out in reverse order of speed; they had intended this airborne convergence before they separated once and for all. After a quick word with the other sensors to find out if the sparks were still together – they were – Sylas called his element for full speed, and they quickly left their comrades in their wake.

Vaylerie was out of breath when she crested the hill. After finally managing to uproot herself from where she had frozen in place, she fled to the her only hint of an answer: the burned tree. There was no sound other than the bubbling of the stream, no movement other than her footfalls on the dried mud as she gingerly approached the tree. She was half expecting to be assaulted by more visions – or rather, by more memories – when her fingers brushed the trunk. She was disappointed. But not for long; she looked more closely around the area and realised there were a few places her flames hadn't touched. Amid the thin cone of grass remaining behind the tree, a small brown square peeked out at her. 'My book!' Other than the section at the bottom burned away from having protruded around the protection of the trunk, the leather cover was intact. Seeking some sort of familiarity, she climbed into her usual perch in the lower branches of the tree, laid back, and let her legs swing over either side. She cradled the book to her chest, gently caressing the characters embossed on the front. She emptied her mind of all but the sound of the brook and the feel of Tol's gaze on her skin. She could feel that stream running through her mind, tenderly carrying her away on it's current, but she didn't stop it. It had too much to show her.

She awoke sound of footsteps approaching and hastily wiped at the tears that had gathered on her cheeks. She found her mother standing there, weary concern written across her face. Mrs. Hart noticed Vaylerie through the bare branches and walked over to slump against the tree. She slid down to sit on the floor and spoke up to her daughter. "You always did have the same reaction to other people's pain. Do you remember when Chris was a baby?"
"I – I do now... Mr. Heron just told me the story." This hadn't been where she was expecting the conversation to go – she thought her mother would instantly demand answers about last night; answers she was now prepared to give. She desperately wanted to tell her mother, to spread her burden so she might understand what she had done and how. She opened her mouth to explain, but shut it again when caution crept into her mind. 'What if she thinks I'm insane? Maybe I am insane... But if anyone knows how to help, it's her.'
She had been about to launch into her tale when Mrs. Hart sighed and spoke up, "Apparently, the five of them stole a barrel of Aybel's spirits last night... they made themselves a little bonfire from twigs and straw and sat around drinking." Her shoulders tightened disapprovingly before she continued, "One of them accidentally dropped the open barrel in the fire, and boom. It caused all this – even blew Henrie back against the tree so hard it cracked his skull."
Vaylerie hugged her knees into her chest to stop her shoulders from shaking. "They're lying, Ma." Her mother looked up at her, confused. "I did this... I did all of this." The confession brought more tears spilling down her cheeks, and her mother clambered into the tree to sit beside her.

Throwing caution to the wind, Vaylerie let the tale stream from her mouth.