part 13

Jane finished out the workweek as Monica, and was exhausted by Friday night. She didn’t know whether to be grateful
for the fact that the phone didn’t ring off the hook that night with a truckload of offers to go out on dates or to parties, or be disappointed. From the way Monica had made it sound, every weekend had been an adventure. Local celebrities and hotshot business owners vied for her attendance at their gatherings. More fantasies, she supposed.
Oh well. Maybe tomorrow night she’d venture out.
She wrangled with Monica’s checkbook for a few hours, finding a lot of unexplained checks written for exorbitant amounts that made no sense, then went to bed early and got caught up on her sleep. The next morning, refreshed, and possessing a small amount of cash after paying the most important bills—like the rent—she ventured to the grocery store and stocked the cupboards and refrigerator. That night, when she received no calls from friends with impromptu invitations, she dressed in a sexy little black dress and heels and headed to her—Jane’s—favorite nightclub for a drink and some dancing. She wasn’t in the mood to be alone. For one thing, she couldn’t stop thinking about Jason. When she walked into the bar, she got a kick out of all the guys staring at her. She’d never experienced that much attention from men before. They didn’t try to hide what they were thinking as their gazes wandered over her body lustfully. It was a bit unnerving, made her feel like she was a prime piece of meat hanging in the butcher’s window, but for the most part she found it amusing.
More than one offered to buy her a drink but she refused, knowing what price she’d be expected to pay. She’d never picked up a man at a bar as Jane and she wasn’t about to start as Monica either.
One-night stands were not her thing…but she might consider it with Jason if he’d give her the chance. Like that was ever going to happen!
“Excuse me?” a familiar female voice called from the end of the bar. “Can I have a Bud Light?”
Jane turned her head to see who it was, knowing she recognized the voice but unable to place it. She knew who it was the instant she saw her. Beth worked in the front, answering phones, and she’d often confided to Jane that she despised Monica. At work she acted reasonably polite but not over-friendly. “Hey, Beth! I didn’t know you came here.” Beth shifted her eyes nervously when she realized who’d spoken to her. “Oh! Hi…Monica. I don’t usually but I’m a personal friend of the lead guitarist in the band playing tonight. Remember? I told you about him.”
“Oh, that’s right.” Jane sipped her diet cola and tried to pretend she knew what Beth was talking about. “The rock star.” “Hardly. But hopefully some day.” She paid the bartender then picked up her beer and walked toward Jane. “Look, I’m sorry I didn’t call you back. Tonight was kind of a spur of the moment thing and I assumed you were busy. You’re always so busy. If I’d known you were still free, I would have called you. Honest.”
Why was Beth befriending Monica when she’d made it so clear she couldn’t stand her? Was it out of pity or was there another reason?
Beth glanced over Monica’s shoulder, clearly looking for someone or something. “Where’s your boyfriend…what was his name?” “Jason?” “No, I don’t think that was it. I’m talking about the radio guy you were talking about last week. I was hoping he’d be here tonight to hear my friend’s band. I gave you their CD, remember? You promised he’d take a listen. Do you know if he did?”
Aha! The truth comes out. Beth was using Monica.
Jane wondered if there even was a radio DJ boyfriend. Knowing Monica, Mr. Radio was probably as much a figment of her imagination as so many other things had proven to be.
“I’m not sure. I haven’t spoken to him in a few days. But I’ll let you know as soon as I do.” “That’s fine. Do you want to go backstage and meet everyone?” “Oh, I don’t know. I’m not much of a groupie.”
“Come on. They’re great guys. It’ll be fun.” Beth tipped her head toward the back of the bar and the currently empty stage and smiled. “They’re getting ready to go onstage now. I’ll introduce you to them.”
Jane wasn’t buying the let’s-be-friends act. In fact, it was making her a little sick. “No thanks. I think I’ll stay here.” “You get to drink for free.”
“Then what are you doing buying your own beer?”
“I don’t care much for wine. That’s all those guys drink.” Beth tugged on Jane’s arm. “I’m not going to take no for an answer. Besides, it’ll be fun to hang out during sets when they’re playing. Do you like to dance?” “Love to.”
“Well, there you go.” Beth looked around again. “That is, unless you’re meeting someone else here tonight.”