The Accidental Gift. Chapter 1

In Cottonwood, Oklahoma, during a warm summer evening, eight-year-old Billy Redford lay under a sheet on his bed in his darkened bedroom recalling the day's events. He remembered plucking wild raspberries from an outcrop of bushes not far from his home, and standing in awe at the sight of a dead cat dressed in a sea of wriggling maggots as they eagerly fed upon its shriveled carcass.

Billy's bedroom suddenly grew brighter, and he fixed his gaze on the stream of light coming from the door, out of the glow came Marlene, his mother, and she said, "I'm here to tuck you in."

"Not tonight, Mom," Billy protested. "It's too hot."

"Yes, it is awfully warm tonight, I'll leave your window open.

"Thanks mom."

"And remember, I'm working at Uncle Pete's store tomorrow, and you're coming with me. "

"I know, and I'm glad. It's better than spending the day with Mrs. Big Butt.

"You shouldn't call her that," Marlene said. "She always treats you well."

"I know she's nice, but I'd rather be at the store than upstairs in her apartment. Don't you think it's funny how her last name is Butt and she's got such a big one? And do you know she bumped into me once with it and I almost fell down."

"I don't believe you, Billy," Marlene said with a grin. You say the craziest things. Anyway, I'm glad you don't mind coming with me. I can't always have someone to look after you while I'm gone."

Marlene kissed Billy on the forehead and closed the door behind her as she left the room.

Billy grew accustomed to the darkness and gazed upon on the white window curtains fluttering in the breeze. He imagined them as ghosts dancing in the wind, and moments later, after falling asleep, he fell into a dream where he envisioned a boy in his likeness standing amongst members his family. Billy watched in horror as everyone believed the imposter was him.

"He's not me!" Billy shouted, but no one heard him.

Just then Billy awoke, and his heart pounded from fear, but as reality set in Billy said to himself, "It was just a dream." And not long afterward he drifted back to sleep.

At daybreak, Billy got dressed and stepped into the kitchen where he fried an egg, made toast and poured a glass of milk. Afterward he sat at the kitchen table to eat and looked up at an advertisement calendar which hung on the wall beside him. He remembered his mother taking it home from the Courtesy Chevrolet dealership sometime in January. The year was 1960 and the month was July, which featured a family on a joy ride in a shiny red and white sedan. Billy viewed the picture with mixed emotions. On the one hand, he found the image pleasing, but on the other, he felt sad since had no brothers or sisters, and his father had abandoned him and his mother three years earlier.

After breakfast, Billy sat within arm's length of the television and turned it on to watch The Three Stooges.

By then Marlene had awakened, and she came out her room wearing a white summer dress covered in a rosebud print. Her hair was set neatly in a ponytail.

"You were laughing so loud you woke me," Marlene grumbled.

"Sorry, Mom."

Marlene sighed and said, "I just don't see what's so funny about three guys hitting each other."

"They're just pretending."

"I know, but I still don't think it's funny."

Just then Moe struck Curly on the head with a shovel and Billy chortled.