Chapter Five

His smile was so buoyant, that as I walked to him, I had forgotten all of that night. "Bryony, what have you been doing?" He asked as he dropped the reins of a horse and approached me.

"I desired to see the cliffs for dawn, that is all."

"Have you slept?"

"Yes."

"Then why do you wear the dress of yesterday?" Then I remembered what I had read, and exhaled far too loudly. His dark eyes averted down to my lips, and then to my cheek.

"I shall remain silent for yours and my own sake, go on and change, we may then leave."

"So soon?" Don't ask questions Bryony, the warning of Sascha arrived to my mind too late.

"Do you want to stay here?" He asked with a darker tone.

I shook my head sternly, "No sir. Of course not sir."

He smirked, and I quietly sighed. "The French would devour you alive if I left you here. I'll fight the cerberus himself to be certain that will not happen, or almost happen again."

"Thank you sir."

"Go then with your gratefulness and get ready for a long trip home." I prepared my luggage quickly, and dressed in a blue dress. My mama knitted it from fabric papa bought from the Ottoman Empire. It was soft, and smelt of exotic flowers.

"I will write to you, you're the only person I know that can read." Lea said as she held my hand and led me out to the door. "You will write back to me will you not?"

"Of course I will, if you forget I'll remind you."

"Oh I will not," She seemed like the girl that wanted to tell the world if something occurred to her, something that was good. She had the curse of being silent when it was a horrendous act, she was not so loud and open then.

"Please do not be silent of your affair if they cause you harm Lea, please do not. Warn anyone you know will help you. A priest, or a nun. or anyone here that has faith in something good Lea."

"I will."

"No promise me."

"I promise." I held her hand tightly, and she smiled at me weakly.

"You're going to be happy with that soldier, he'll protect you." She blushed then, and the sound

of a horse neighing echoed through the white door.

"Bryony!" He yelled, and I took my leave giving Lea a hug. She was the first person to be silent in her warnings to the master, it was a good rest from all others.

Outside master was sweating as he attempted to calm a horse down. "Be calm!" He said, and the rest of the men backed away as it reared. He sighed frustratedly, but pulled the reigns downward as gently as he could. "Please, be calm." He begged, and the horse's constant moving calmed. It bowed his head down, and allowed the master to run his hand down it's face. He smiled, and patted it's nuzzle telling something to the men whom nodded sternly.

I stepped down, and my luggage was taken by Jacob. I watched as he placed it behind the carriage, closed it and took seating in the driver's area.

"He shall join us." Master Axel said beside me, one of his legs on a step and the other on the ground. He was breathless, and his embellished vest rose up and down quickly. "I need a man like him at home." I nodded, and said nothing.