Chapter 2: The Call

As I sit in my living room, scrolling through my phone and watching the latest episode of my favorite show, my phone rings. I hesitate for a moment before answering, not recognizing the number on the screen. "Hello?" I say uncertainly. On the other end of the line, a somber voice speaks. "Is this Ms. Johnson?"

"Yes, speaking," I reply.

"My name is Detective Evans. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but there's been an incident involving your parents."

My heart drops to the pit of my stomach. My parents? What could have happened? "What kind of incident?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady.

"There was a break-in at their home earlier this evening, and your parents were found unconscious. They were taken to the hospital, and I wanted to reach out and let you know."

My mind races as I try to process the information. Are they okay? Why would anyone break into their home? "Can I come see them?" I ask.

"Of course," Detective Evans replies. "I'll send someone to pick you up."

In a daze, I hang up the phone and rush to pack a bag, my thoughts still swirling with questions and panic. As I'm packing, I can't stop thinking about who could have done this to my parents. Were they targeted? Did someone have a grudge against them?