Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Sam's POV

"Okay we have four options at this very moment, listen close because I'm probably not going to remember enough to repeat it a second time. To the north we have a five mile hike uphill to a small pond where we can then jump off one of the waterfalls and end up two miles from here. West of here about a mile is from where we came from and we can swim there and back. South of here is where it gets a bit less, how one might say, safe. It's about four miles and we could in a way zip line back." I stated.

"What's the fourth option?" Niall asked.

"You stay here like a wimp while I go out and get something." I said raising an eyebrow challengingly.

"Not bloody likely, let's go to the south." Crossing his arms defiantly he started walking toward the path.

"That's north."

"I know I was just testing you."

"You have no idea where you're going."

"Lead the way then."

"So where were you guys heading when you 'landed'?" I asked ducking under some foliage.

"We were headed to New York we were leaving Dublin. What about you?"

"Really? Same actually, six months ago just about."

"No way! You were on that special Lou was watching before we took off." Niall said looking at me strangely.

What I wouldn't give to read minds right about now.

"I loved Ireland though, it was so pretty and the people were so nice." I responded attempting to change the topic.

"Oh yeah, Ireland's the greatest. Still love it when I get to go back and visit family or just hang around again. So what were you doing there, just for vacation?" Niall implored tripping over a protruding root.

"We were there looking for family. My grandpa had a lot of siblings and only two came to America while he rest stayed in Ireland. We were trying to find their descendants, our something-removed cousins, and try and fill in our family tree a bit more." I answered reluctantly.

"Ah you're an Irish girl! I knew I liked you, did you find anyone when you were there?" Niall prodded.

"No, I don't think so." I replied as I leaned over to grab a large branch to use as a walking stick.

"What do you mean you don't think so? You either found the crazy bastards or you didn't," Niall joked, narrowly avoiding bumping into me. I stopped in my tracks considering his question.

Had we found anyone in Ireland? I was wracking my brain but I couldn't for the life of me remember anything beyond the fact that we were coming from there when we crashed. I felt dread rising in my throat at the implications.

"I can't really remember, you know, probably some untreated head injury from the crash. I try not to think of the past too much anyway. There's nothing there for me now."  I eventually responded as I kept moving forward. All I have to do is just keep moving forward.