Chapter 5

“So what are you going to want? It’s my treat”, I said.

She thought about it.

“No. I’ll treat”, she said.

I knew this wasn’t going to be easy. She never is. That is a good thing. At times. I sighed. Here we go.

“I said I would treat, Lolita”, I said.

“Fine. I won’t argue”, Lolita said.

Gracias a dios. No more fighting.

“I’m glad. I think I know the place to go”, I said.

We walked. She followed me and I knew this would surprise her. The look on her face was worth it when she saw where we were. It was the small store we first met when we were younger. It was still up. Her eyes were wide with shock and there were unshed tears glistened in her eyes. She smiled at me and hugged me tightly. I hugged her, afraid of ever letting go.

“You shouldn’t have”, she said, emotion displayed thickly in her voice.

“I did. Don’t you dare cry on me. You’re stronger than that”, I warned playfully.

“I’m not going to cry you idiot”, she said sniffling and laughing.

“Sure you aren’t”, I said and made her return in my arms.

I bought her some stuff and left walking hand in hand with her. I took her to go get tortas.

“I thought that was it”, she said.

“Hell no. The real food is here. That was just a trip to memory lane”, I explained.

 “You’re so stupid at times”, Lolita said smiling.

“Maybe but you still love me like that”, I said.

“What choice do I have?” Lolita said, joking.

“Uh-huh”, I said.

We ate and had fun. I didn’t mind that she was still sweaty. To me she still looked like the most beautiful girl in the world. When we went back to our home she took a shower. I tried to get in the shower with her… yeah it didn’t work out that well. Believe me, I tried. I guess it’s her alone time or something. You can’t judge because, after all, I’m a hormonal teenage male. I waited for her and we watched the old soap operas. The moments where we didn’t fight, it was the best feeling in the world.

A few weeks passed by quickly. Lolita was getting better at her fighting. She was going to be a pro. I could already see it. I have been in my fair share of fights but not as much as her. Damn, that girl was like a fighting machine. The more time passed the more I loved her. We had our fights, like always; we had our moments, and the passion. She truly is the owner of my heart.

Lately she has been a bit distant. Her attitude was usually guilty or quiet. She never was like this. It had me doubting her but at the same time I couldn’t. I trusted her with my life. I hadn’t been with her a lot when she was at her fights. Weeks past I began to trust her with it so I let her do her own thing. She fled to the fights as fast as possible.

I decided to follow her. Why not? What’s the worst that could happen? Right? When I got there I hid in the shadows. I watched her. She was normally doing what she did. Then why did she start acting strange? I see her jabs and impacts on the other person. I wouldn’t want to be on their end. I waited until she finished.

I followed her outside. It was dark and the street lamps were barely giving any light to the streets. I saw her go to a shadow. I came closer to be able to hear them. It was a guy. What the hell?! I heard even more closely.