Chapter 2: New Neighborhood

It's a relaxing Saturday morning where most teenagers at my age would pretty much start going out to the beaches, parties, malls, and other exciting places.

But me?

Nah, I'd rather stay here at my extra comfy home with unlimited Wi-Fi. Oh, and a pile of books! I love studying, it's proudly my passion. And if you now hate me for that, then I hate you too.

Just kidding!

I would never feel that way to anyone. You know what they say, Hate is such a strong word. It's bloody true. I find it very rude and offensive as a person who was born having manners. I don't like to hate people. Instead, I simply look at the bright side of them and learn that none of us is perfect. Not even celebrities and super models. I mean, they used to be imperfect too, before fame. But still; I respect them. This is what people like about me; the fact that I don't hate anyone.

Except for one person though...

Harry.

That son of a gun... He's quite rude to me these days. After a whole bloody week of going to school with him as if we're both stuck like glue, he still doesn't share a single small talk with me. It's like he doesn't give a damn about me! And lastly, the term polite never fits him nicely.

But if that's the case, I still feel sorry for him despite his strange behavior. Even though he looks quite deceiving, I still know there's a good side of him. Ever since I saw that cute adorable smile of his at first day of school. It saddens me to know that I can only see his smile once. It left me wondering of why, why doesn't he show it to the world more often? Why won't he let us see the good side of him? Why does he have to be so negative? So careless? So rude? So...dark?

I don't get him, really. I don't understand. I thought he wanted me to be his friend? Or, what if I thought wrong? What if he's only using me? What if all this time, he just wanted me to come with him to school and vice versa all so that he won't seem to look so lonely? What if by the end of the school year, he wouldn't wait a second in leaving me?

Is it all because I'm just...me? Plain Fern? A nice nerd who secretly has big dreams and a big heart?

All I ever wanted was to have true friends...or maybe someone who would...love me for me, even though I know I wouldn't have a chance...

Wow, it's only first day of the weekend and I'm already having so many negative thoughts about Harry and I... What a great way to start an early morning.

"Fern, please go get the newspaper, please!" I heard my Mum's morning voice from downstairs.

I sighed, knowing I should follow her order no matter how sleepy I still am. It's now more of a daily Saturday routine given by her. And if you're asking why can't she just do it for herself, then trust me. She can't. Well, there's this word called tired. And it perfectly describes her now.

"Coming!"

With my nerd glasses already on, I jumped out of bed and absent-mindedly grabbed my yellow bathrobe since I don't want others to see that I'm only in my Spongebob Squarepants PJ's. I really really really love that show!

Once I put it on I sluggishly went downstairs and gave my Mum a good morning greet. I watch as she tugged a strand of her wavy dark hair behind her ear and smiled sweetly to me with crinkling chocolate brown eyes and a pair of dimples. She was in a white bathrobe with a cup of morning coffee in her hand.

"I'll go get the newspaper, Mum." I informed her, incase she forgets, and gave her a smile again.

After I received several nods I forwardly headed straight out the house.