V: Mystery of the Misty Island (2/6)

Several minutes later they reached the island. The docks were as covered in mist as the lake itself, but Raviel's elven vision served him well. He had to grab Saska a few times to keep him from hitting something or falling into water, though. That was also when he noticed something peculiar that warranted further investigation. Once they were indoors.

It was a large town from what he could see as they walked the streets, with buildings made of stone. He stopped in front of a door with a sign of a large fish and text "Jolly Silverfish" above it. Probably an inn or tavern of some kind.

The door was locked despite it not being even nightfall yet – not that one could tell in this weather.

"Hello?" Raviel knocked on the door. "We need a place to stay."

"We're not open while the mist is out!" a gruff voice yelled from inside.

"Please, we just got to your island and don't have a place to stay."

"We're not monsters," Saska added.

"So you say! I'm not opening this door!"

Raviel sighed. "Could you tell us where we can stay the night then?"

There was a long moment of silence. Then a small hatch in the door was opened and a key dropped out of it. Then it was closed equally quickly. "Since I'm a nice person, you can sleep in my storage shed. Second building on the left, right after the stable."

Raviel picked up the key. "Thank you."

Once they had found the shed and closed the door tightly behind themselves to keep the mist – or worse – outside, the elf slowly surveyed their surroundings. It was a single large open space half-filled with hay. The floor was built with heavy wooden planks and judging by the sound of Saska's footsteps as the boy headed straight for the haystack and dropped off their bags, there was a hollow space underneath. Probably a cellar for food and drink.

Satisfied with his brief inspection, Raviel returned his attention to Saska. "Take off your clothes," he simply said.

Saska stopped momentarily, then resumed searching his bag for food. "No need. I wasn't the one to fall into the water."

The boy tensed as he heard the sound of a blade being drawn out of its sheath.

"Take off your clothes now," Raviel warned, the tip of his sword held less than ten inches from Saska's back.

Saska slowly stood up and turned around. If it had been anyone else, he could have gotten out of reach and countered with his throwing knives, but that was completely pointless against the elf who now for all purposes owned him. "I thought you more noble than this."

Raviel's free hand touched the bronze charm hanging around his neck. "You were very insistent that I wear this to protect me from the siren's song. How come you don't have one? How did you resist that woman?" Either there was some spell woven on his skin, or...it was some kind of natural ability. The latter couldn't mean anything good.

"Oh, I can explain that-" He tried to step closer, but was met by silver-laced steel.

"Not any closer. I was already almost killed by a monster wearing a child's face. I will not fall for that again."

"I could have killed you on the first night if I wanted to!" Stupid, stupid, stupid elf! "Why can't you see that you hold my life in your hands?! I don't have a death wish!"

Raviel had to take a moment to digest those words. Then his expression hardened again.

"What?" Saska asked.

"Your clothes. Keep your distance if you wish, but either you take them off or I will."

Saska groaned in frustration and tossed his cloak to the haystack, followed by his vest and long-sleeved shirt. "This enough?" He gestured to the small black patterns, like pieces of broken spirals, on his chest and upper arms. "I have similar ones on my legs and hips."

Raviel studied the patterns for a moment. "I don't recognize that magic."

The boy snorted. "I'm not surprised. It's only known to Outcasts. And you have just recently arrived to this land, right?"

"That's correct."

"Figured that much since you don't seem to know even basic things."

Raviel ignored the taunt. It was true there were many things he didn't know about this land. "What do they do?"

Saska shrugged. "I don't really know. Protection from monsters, ability to see through illusions. They were made when I was just a little kid."

"So you can't use magic?"

"I can brew potions and carve charms, but no, not beyond that. Was that all?"

Raviel sheathed his sword. "Unfortunately not. I want to trust your word, but..."

"But you don't. I get it. I haven't survived this far by being a trusting fool either."

"I just want to make sure."

Saska crossed his arms. "Okay. How?"

"Moonlight dancing like butterflies," Raviel spoke quietly, holding out one hand, palm up. "Let your shine unmask all deception."

Pale yellow butterflies twinkling with soft light appeared around his hand. Saska took a cautious step back.

"Moonmoths are harmless," Raviel told him as he sent the butterflies towards the boy. They started slowly circling him. "Now tell me why you are accompanying me."

"Because I don't have a choice! Viscount owned me, now you do."

"Are you a human?"

"As far as I know, yes."

"As far as you know?"

Saska looked away. "I never knew my parents. I heard the Outcasts whispering that I was cursed, incarnation of some evil spirit, towards the end. Before they kicked me out. But...I never felt like I'd be anything else than human."

Raviel closed his eyes briefly. No lies this far, but he'd have to verify the last answer for himself. If you didn't know it yourself...it was no lie.

Saska suddenly drew in a sharp breath. "Watch out!"

That was enough to jolt Raviel out of his concentration, making the moonmoths vanish. The elf drew his blade right as a throwing knife pinned a snake longer than his arm to the wooden floor, straight through its head. It's skin was almost transparent, yet he could not see its innards. And just then the creature literally turned into water, leaving only a large puddle in its wake.

Saska walked over and retrieved his knife. "A water snake. Better be careful. One isn't much of an issue – just really painful -, but if they swarm you, a high amount of poison can turn your entire body into liquid."

"Wait, Saska."

"What?"

"That knife. Can I see it?"

"Sure." He held out the blade hilt-first to the elf. "I have a dozen of them."

This magic he knew. An enchantment against supernatural creatures, to burn like hellfire. If Saska had been a monster out to trick him, he couldn't have handled these knives either.

Raviel handed the blade back. "I'm sorry for distrusting you."

Saska returned the knife to one of the sheaths sewn to his pant-legs, camouflaged to look like ragged patches. "I could say apology accepted, but would that really matter?"

"Saska..."

"I'm not angry." Saska put his shirt back on and buttoned the vest over it. It was kind of chilly here. "But the fact remains that I'm your servant. So my opinions hardly matter."

"Alright, if that's the way you want to see it. I don't."

Saska chuckled. "Then I suppose you won't mind if I hit the hay and leave it to you ward this place against those snakes."

Raviel smiled a little. "Be my guest."