Daytona

I've taken some creative liberties with the actual timelines, events and people that inspired the story. Enjoy!

"What do you mean you sold it?!" Ryan Blaney exclaimed as he threw his arms in the air in exasperation. "You're supposed to come to me first when the cool stuff comes in!"

Ryan was currently pacing the garage area of the Daytona International Speedway talking to Brent Wentz, car chief for the #22 Discount Tire Ford and antique collector extraordinaire. They were on break between Xfinity practice and qualifying.

"Dude, she made me an offer I just couldn't refuse," Brent said shrugging his shoulders. "There'll be others. In fact, my guy just told me..."

"I don't care what your guy told you!" Ryan said halting his pacing to yell at his car chief. " I need that one." Taking one look at Brent's impassive stare, Ryan sighed and resumed pacing once again.

The item in question was a vintage Nascar trucker hat circa 1979. The navy blue hat was covered in commemorative souvenir pins with the words "Daytona International Speedway" spelt out in white lettering surrounded by an American flag. Matching golden scrollwork decorated the bill.

Anyone who knew Ryan knew that he was absolutely obsessed with any kind of vintage racing apparel. He had first started collecting as a kid with his dad's sprint car stuff. Every race a new piece of gear had been added. As the years passed, the collection had continued to grow, but it wasn't until 2012 when Ryan met Brent that his obsession spiraled completely out of control. Ryan's entire old room at his parent's house was crammed full of vintage apparel and his roommate in North Carolina had put him on a buying ban after having been the victim of a mega-sized closet avalanche.

Taking a couple of deep breaths, Ryan spun to face Brent again. "Please tell me who you sold it to. I'll pay them double, no triple the price for it. Hell, I'll even write them a blank check."

"Yeah because that worked so well last time, didn't it?" Brent scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. Standing at his full height of 6'2 with a head of dark brown hair, the car chief was an imposing sight in the garage. He was referring to an incident at Charlotte Motor Speedway a couple of months back when Ryan had tried to convince a fan to sell him one of his grandfather's signed racing helmets by offering them a blank check. The fan had refused.

"I don't know what that guy's problem was! I told him he could fill in as many zeros as he wanted..." Ryan muttered to himself, recalling the incident. Track security had gotten involved after some unpleasant words were exchanged.

"Jesus, you just don't give up, do you? I swear man, you're like a crack addict with this stuff," Brent chuckled, snapping Ryan out of his reverie. Ryan pulled out his best puppy dog look to use on his car chief.

After a few moments of consideration, Brent conceded. "Fine. I didn't get her name, but she did say that she was staying in the campgrounds with her family. Near the giant rubber duck in the pool..." Ryan's face broke out into a grin.

Brent never got the chance to finish his sentence.

"Perfect! Thank you!" Ryan tossed over his shoulder, already speeding towards the team's golf cart.

"Wait! Where are you going? We have qualifying in an hour!" Brent yelled, following after Ryan. But it was too late, Ryan was already long gone.

"Now if only he could drive that fast," Brent mumbled to himself as he went off in search of the rest of the team.

************************************

"Ahh, now this is the life," Sage Carson sighed. She was currently relaxing on a floating air mattress in her parent's oversized inflatable pool on the campgrounds at Daytona. Floating next to her was Ducky, her family's giant inflatable yellow rubber duck. Bought one year as a joke, Ducky quickly developed into a staple for their annual trip to the track and had become a celebrity in his own right with other campers.