Secret Life of the Girl who doesn't Belong

"Honey, will you please give me that bowl?" I blinked, staring as my mother smiled at me. "And stop staring. You know that we aren't supposed to do that." I immediately turned my eyes from the window, and looked at her.

"Sorry, mother." I reached for the bowl she requested, and handed it to her. Unwillingly, my eyes traveled back to the window, where he was standing, now directing the other men in my community on what to do with the bags of food. I couldn't explain why my eyes were drawn to him. I couldn't explain why every time he even looked my way (He really wasn't, I just imagined he could see me behind the window...) my heart sped up, and my mouth grew dry. 

"Leighanna Hope!" My mom's voice was no longer kind, instead, a slight bit of anger had slipped into her voice. I jerked my eyes away from him, and turned to my mother. "You need to get ahold of your staring problem." 

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "It's so beautiful outside..." I let my voice trail off, grabbing a potato to peel it. Her eyes softened slightly, and a small smile met her face. 

"I know it is, Lee..." She reached out, and brushed my hair out of my face. "I hate that you have to be cooped up today..." She looked up and out the window. "Your father..." 

I know, I know. I thought inwardly. My father doesn't want any ladies out today... These nasty savages are here taking the rations that we must give them, in order to continue living this peaceful life... Yadda, yadda, yadda.

"At any rate, you will get some reprieve tonight after dinner." 

"Why?" 

"Your father has been chosen to host the Master of Knighten to dinner. They will have some time after dinner, and he wants you to go for a walk, so you won't be viewed too much." My eyes widened. "So soon before the choosing ceremony." She sighed. "Anyway, please head upstairs and get ready." I swallowed. "I have set out some clothes for you. I'll be up shortly to help you." I duitfully went up the stairs to my room. 

"What the--" I broke off as I saw the dress laying on my bed, complete with a corsett. "She wants me to wear this?!" I groaned. "MOTHER!" The steps on the stairs were immediate, and I heard her stop by my door.

"You aren't--"

"Supposed to yell, yeah yeah. Why in the world are you making me wear this?!" I whirled around, holding the dreaded corsett in my hands. "This isn't the sixth century!" Her eyes dulled slightly. 

"Your father requested it. You will wear it." She stepped into the room, closing the door behind her. "He needs to make a good impression on the Knighten's.... Apparently, they are the only one's who'll be able to help us if the Kningston's make the move to eradicate our government." I sighed. "I know, Lee." I slid my shirt and jeans off, willing ot make my mom's life a little easier. I stepped into the corsette and dragged it up my body. I turned around, and winced, as my mom began to tighten it.

It wasn't that I was fat. I mean, if you asked anyone, I didn't have an ounce of fat on me... But, apparently, in order to make a great impression, you must not be able to breath. I gasped for air, as my mom tied the last string off. 

"There. Now, get your hair done, and put on some makeup. I must go get ready myself." My mom's hand rested lightly on my cheek. "I love you, Lee." I looked down. Her hand stayed on my cheek for a second longer, before she left me alone. I watched her leave, before turning back to the dress. It was a scoop neck, light green with lace, silk dress, that probably cots my father a huge portion of the check he made in the government at Knelson.

That's where I live, in Knelson. I was the daughter of one of the council members, Shannon. Being the daughter held a lot of gumption, but it just seemed like a pain in the butt to me. I was expected to be perfect, and to set an example for the rest of the Knelson girls, who were no doubt watching my every move. It also mean that at the choosing ceremony, even if I chose something else other than Knelson, that no other council would ever choose me back.