Chapter 1

'Won't this rain ever stop?' The soaked calico she-cat padded on, enjoying the shadows of the forest. It had been raining since before dawn, and it was nearing dusk as the cat drew herself over a fallen tree.

The ferns rustled as another cat slipped through them. A large tom padded out, his black fur blending with the shadows that now covered the forest. It was a tom that the she-cat knew well.

After touching noses with the tom, the she-cat sat down, curling her tail over her paws. "I'm glad you came," the she-cat meowed, now at ease despite the rain.

"How could I not, after agreeing to meet with such a beautiful cat as yourself?" The tom purred softly, curling his tail around the she-cat.

"I can't believe we have to sneak out to meet. What's so shameful about us being together?" The she-cat hung her head mournfully. The tom leaned against her, and she breathed in his comforting scent.

As the tom gently touched the she-cat's head, the ferns rustled again, and the two cats turned, their pelts prickling. Before them stood a lithe cat that appeared to have stars in her fur. The cats opened their mouths cautiously and tasted the air. The cold taste of starlight bathed their tongues.

The tom rose to his paws and cautiously started backing up. Suddenly, he whipped around and took off into the darkness of the forest. But the she-cat's paws felt like they had grown roots as she stared at the star-pelted cat that stood in front of her. Something about the cat seemed familiar.

Suddenly, the cat spoke. Her voice was soft and gentle, like a kit's pelt. "Do not fear me," the starry cat meowed. The voice was familiar. Suddenly, the she-cat knew who the star-covered warrior was.

"Ripplesplash, forgive me!" The she-cat pressed herself to the ground, trembling.

"There is nothing to forgive," the star-furred cat meowed gently, touching the she-cat's head with her nose. "StarClan knew it would happen. There was no way for it to happen any other way." Ripplesplash sat down, curling her tail so that it rested over the despairing she-cat.

"What do you mean," the she-cat asked. "How could it not have been prevented? I broke the Warrior Code!"

Ripplesplash sat for a long moment, gazing gently at the trembling she-cat. Compassion and understanding shone in her eyes, as warm as sunlight.

"There was a prophecy," Ripplesplash meowed at last. "Darkness will fall and blacken the night, only the great bird can bring back the light." Ripplesplash began to fade. "Bring the prophecy to your leader."

"Wait!" The she-cat frantically got to her paws, but Ripplesplash was already gone. "What does that mean? What's the darkness?"

The she-cat hung her head, sorrowful. She turned her paws back to camp, and padded home.