Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I wake up and it's 6:42 am; the sun is coming into my room in stripes due to my blinds. The Ascension Ceremony is held at 9:00 am. My parents won't be up until 7:00, so I have about eighteen minutes to read one of the books on the four elements that I took from my dad. He says he got it during college and has kept it ever since.

I'll give it back, so it's not stealing. I just borrowed it and he failed to notice.

I honestly don't have a preference out of the four elements. That's partly because I know I can't change it by wanting a certain one. And if I have a preference, then there's a three out of four chance I'll be disappointed with my element.

This book has a little bit on each of the four elements. I open it up and start reading. It focuses on defense. Through my studies I've noticed that each element has its own unique forte.

Earth is the most useful when it comes to defense. Though each element has its own defense mechanism. As I read, I am entranced by the book's content. The library's books covered the four elements, but this book goes much more in depth. It goes through steps of actual defenses I could use should I have to defend myself with any of the four elements.

It illustrates air's defenses and how light on their toes they are.

Next I read on fire and its energetic spirit. I get to earth and it seems every move has order and is well planned out.

I notice it is 7:00 so I don't get a chance to read about water. I decide to go take a shower and begin to get ready. When I get out of the shower, towel on, my mom tells me that my fancy, button down shirt is on the couch, along with my dress pants.

"Mom! I'm nearly 17, I can pick out my own clothes" I reply.

"I believe the response you're searching for is 'thank you', I'll accept it anytime" my mom jokes back.

"Thank you, mother!" I say in a very sarcastic manner.

I'm not being rude, that's just how our relationship is. Without sarcasm, this family would not function.

I bring the clothes back to my room and get dressed. I should be thankful she didn't pick out my boxers. After I get my clothes on, I go over to the mirror in my room and, with a little bit of gel and a hair dryer, do my hair.

"Have you packed? They take you straight from the Ascension Ceremony to a University." my mom calls from her room. Crap. I forgot about that.

"Of course I did, mom!" I say as I briskly scoop up the necessities. I get clothes, books, my tooth brush and tooth paste, hair gel, and then I see my dad's elements book. Should I risk it? I have to decide now. What if my element is water?

"Whats taking you so long?" my mom calls, before adding "Your father has almost finished making breakfast.".

I cram the book into my suitcase and put it at the bottom so it's hard to get to; no one will notice it unless they are purposefully looking through my stuff.

"I'm ready," I say as I walk out into the kitchen.

Both my parents are ready as well. My dad finishes making breakfast and I add "you know I could have just had cereal"

"Today is a special day!" my dad tells me, "and for a special occasion there's special food."

After we all finish eating we notice it's 8:00, we go out into the car and I bring my suitcase.

"Wow. You did a great job fixing whatever the problem was." my dad tells my mom.

"I couldn't have done it without Kendall." my mother replies. Shes so humble that way, she'll rarely take a compliment without quickly averting the attention to someone else.