Lovebirds

I woke up to the obnoxious sound of my alarm, blaring in my ear. I groaned, pulling the duvet off my body. I rolled off the bed, and hit my head in the process.

"Ouch!" I exclaim. I stood up off the ground before turning off the annoying alarm.

I trudged into the bathroom, looking like a zombie. After getting ready for school, I walked back out and down the stairs. I put on a black crop toop and a pair of blue jean shorts with my converse.

I walked towards the kitchen and pulled the door open. I walked towards the cabinets and grabbed  the box of cereal. Mum walked in as I was pouring my cereal in the bowl.

"Morning Mum." I said, sitting down at the table.

"Good morning Honey."

She grabbed her own bowl of cereal and sat across from me. "Are you excited?" I asked her.

A small smile appeared on her face. "Kind of but I'll miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too. Don't worry, I'll be fine. If I need company, I'll call Preston and have him come over. He'll keep me busy."

She chuckled. "I'm sure he will." She muttered.

My jaw dropped. "Mum!"

"What?" She asked, batting her eyelashes innocently.

I rolled my eyes. I stood up and put my empty bowl in the sink, before walking out of the kitchen and into Mum's room.

As soon as I walked in I saw her suit case laying on her bed. I grabbed it and rolled it out of the room. "Hey Mum, I'm going to put your suit case in the boot!" I called, walking out the front door.

I walked outside, pulling the suit case with me. I stopped at the back of the car and pulled the boot open. I leaned down to pick it up. I threw it in inside, before slamming it shut.

As soon as I walked inside, I was embraced by my mum. I was frozen for a moment, but quickly hugged her back. "I'm going to miss you so much." She cried.

"Oh Mum, don't cry. I'm going to miss you too. You'll be back before you know it." I said, pulling back. She nodded, whipping  her tears away.

"I'll call you tomorrow night." She said. I nodded. "Bye Brook." She said, hugging me one more time.

"Bye Mum."

She walked out of the house, shutting the door behind her. "I'll be ok." I muttered, a single tear sliding down my cheek.

Five minutes after Mum left, I heard the familiar screech of Ava's car tires. I pulled my backpack onto my shoulder and walked out of the house.

"Hey Ava." I said, sliding into the front seat.

"Hey." She said, turning to me with. Her smile slowly fading off her face. "What's wrong?" She asked, eyes full of concern.

"Nothing. I'm just kind of worried. How am I going to survive without my mum for a year?"

"You'll get through this. You have me and Preston to help you with anything and I'm sure, if you called, Aiden would help you too."

I smiled. "I know. Thank you." I said, leaning across the seat to hug her.

"You're welcome, but If you don't want to be late to school, we should get going." She said, pulling off down the street.

....

The day went by quickly. my first few classes flew by in a blur and it is already lunch time. I walked into the cafeteria, bumping into something.

"I'm so sorry." I said, looking up to see who I bumped into.

"It's ok. You were the person I was looking for." Aiden said. I smiled as he intertwined our hands and started pulling me towards the table.