Proud

It was kind of unfair, Jae Yeol thought silently, fleetingly, that only the girls were allowed to bid in the slave auction.

It was so obvious from the whispers all around that it would be either Jin Sung or Hyung Suk that would be forced to join, and Jae Yeol felt a little jealous...

Only a little. It wasn't as though he was hoping to buy him or anything like that -that would be far too shameless of him when he'd barely had a proper conversation with the boy. It was simply the fact that it was also discrimination right there.

Not just because Jae Yeol was... gay. There didn't need to be that kind of meaning behind it. It was simply because, perhaps, that it wasn't just the girls who might want to spend a day (date? No... no. It doesn't have to be a date, nor called a date. It could just be hanging out or talking or spending time together. Like if a guy just wanted to get closer to someone, to make friends...) with any of the boys from the auction.

It didn't have to be because Jae Yeol was gay. Or anyone else, for that matter (because he couldn't be the only one in the entire school, surely. It was scary to think so. People were cruel enough that Jae Yeol was aware no one would actually come out like that, but it would be even more cruel if he truly was alone-)

Or, like now, when he'd heard the referee talking about his terrible experience after being bought by that cruel girl from some private school who was now aiming for Park Hyung Suk.

And Hyung Suk was kind. He was soft in a way that, Jae Yeol was sure, no matter what that girl might have him do he would with little complaint if he thought it was his duty. And if she saw that in him -even though no one else but Jae Yeol did- then she would be the type to take full advantage of him. And it made Jae Yeol worry.

It wasn't fair that people like that could get their way just for being a girl when Jae Yeol couldn't even be allowed to help his... his classmate? His friend? (His secret crush?) out due to the mere fact he wasn't one.

And it was scary, the way those girls from the booth looked at him when he asked for permission to bid. Like he was strange. Like he wasn't normal for even asking such a thing. Like they thought he might be what he was and it was terrifying.

But it was for Hyung Suk, more than it was for Jae Yeol. To help Hyung Suk and make sure he wasn't abused and taken advantage of in a way Jae Yeol knew many people wanted to (not him. Not himself, no. He just wanted... he just wanted to stay close. It didn't have to be like that). That was the only reason Jae Yeol didn't run away with his tail between his legs, even after they refused him a few times.

He didn't have to acknowledge his disappointment when, even without him being able to help out, Hyung Suk didn't get bought by the cruel girl and was instead left alone by the girl who did. He would've done the same anyway. He should simply be relieved.

And he was relieved. Hyung Suk didn't get taken advantage of or abused or courted and that was all that matters.

He didn't have to acknowledge his disappointment that it wasn't him who caused that.