9 1/2

"Aim a little bit more to the left," Father says as I hold the gun with two hands and fire. It was a warmer day in late November and the acres of land echo back to us the sound of the gun. The bullet hits the middle of the target and joins the collection of holes in the same area. "Hmm, you have a natural gift of perception," he says and pats me on the back after I put the gun on the table. "You're almost ready bud." He says and I nod while shaking my arm after the recoil. Father picks up the gun and with one hand he shoots a target farther back that's shaped like a human. He hits the head and the target disintegrates. "Ahh it's been awhile," he says to himself then puts it back into the box. "Will I ever be able to do that father?" I ask while peeking my head over the table to watch the targets disappear at the push of a button. "With time and practice you will be able to do more than this Jonathan," he says and holds me close. "But can't you call me something a little more friendly than father?" he asks while he closes the case holding the gun and grabs my hand. "Like what? I know all languages and in Alohowa a male parent is a father." I answer as we start to walk on the pathway back to the mansion. "Yes, but that's more of a...proper term." He explains. "Well, what do other people call their father?" I ask and put my right hand in my pocket to protect it from the wind. "Well, there's dad, daddy, papa, poppy. Usually is depends on where you live," he says. "I like papa," I say quietly and he up his arm while I hang on and play monkey. Swinging back and forth. "I like that, good choice Jonathan." He says and lifts my higher while I laugh. "Do I get a nickname, Papa?" I like using his new name instead of father. I could see what he meant when he said it sounds nicer. "No, Jonathan is just fine. You were given that name for a reason and should be proud of it by using your full name." Papa says as we reach the mansion. Tatianna opens the doors for us and hands me a small mug of hot chocolate. I thank her and she kisses my head. "How was shooting practice?" She asked and I give her a thumbs up while I chug the hot liquid to warm my body faster. "He's a natural like his father. I don't know why I second guessed it." Papa says while taking a mug from Tatianna too. She smiles a little but I could sense there was something wrong with them.

"Left, right, left, dodge." uncle Tommy says and I follow through the motions and finish up by dodging his final punch. Beads of sweat dripped down our foreheads as we continue training. "Uncle Tommy, How much longer do we have to do this." I complain as I loosen my tiny gloves. "Why can't I just shoot all the bad guys. I'm good at that and they won't burden us anymore." I explain and suddenly I'm on my back looking up at the training room ceiling. "Ah, but Jonathan there are some bad guys you can't just kill. And there are some you can't just shoot. So you have to learn hand to hand combat." He says and ruffles my hair. I punch him in the chest and he pretends to faint with pain. "Ah! Oh why! Oh cruel world!" He yells dramatically and I can't help but laugh at his silliness. While sitting on the ground I look over to see papa. He was angrily punching out a holographic person and winning. Uncle Tommy shuffles over next to me and watches with me. "He trains every day with maximum effort because he is our leader and we depend on him." he says and we continue watching. "He's never this upset though. There must be something bothering him." He says. Papa continues to beat down the holographic people. One after the other, they all fall and disintegrate. Beads of sweat drip down his forehead as he punches harder and harder. Throwing combos left and right until one sneaks up from behind him. "Papa!" I yelp and instead of turning around he looks at me confused and the fake humanoid comes up from behind and stabs him. It only stings him enough to make him fall and he sits on the ground catching his breath. I crawl out from under the rope separating us and ignore Tommy's arm to stop me. I rush over to Papa as he wipes the sweat from his brow. "Papa are you okay?" I ask and he only nods. "Jonathan, it was right behind me wasn't it?" I nod and he looks up at me. We stare at each other for a few seconds. I felt like he was looking for something in me. Uncle Tommy's giant hand touches my shoulder and pulls me back. "Come on Jonathan, let's get back to practicing." He says and we get back into the ring.