Chapter Nineteen

Was there ever any country that didn't have to detain chaos within their nation and fend off trouble from abroad?

Rong Tian spent an unhealthy portion of the day deep in discussion with the officials which assisted his efforts to run Xi Rei. The moment business concluded the King hurried towards the direction of the Crowned Prince's quarters.

In mid-step a courteous voice interrupted him.

"Your Highness please wait, the Empress has requested to see you."

Rong Tian halted and turned around to find Xiang Fen, the Empress's most trusted maid.

"Was there anything in particular the Empress wanted to discuss?"

Xiang Fen bowed, "This lowly servant doesn't know what the Empress has in mind. I was only instructed to bring King Rong to the Empress's palace once the morning proceedings were over."

Rong Tian gave the sky a quick evaluation for time before deciding his move.

He nodded, "I will meet with her now."

Before leaving he motioned for a guard to approach, "Go and inform King Ming I have an audience with the Empress. I will return soon and our trip outside of the palace will take place later."

After his order he followed the lead of Xiang Fen towards the Empress's residence.

The servant guided him outside of the room where the Empress was resting.

The Empress had not changed much apart from her clothing. Her attire was upgraded from a Queen to a more extravagant Empress Dowager.

Inside the room she was reclined on a lounging daybed where she peacefully read.

"Empress, I have arrived." The King announced.

Hearing her son's voice just beyond the door the Empress's face eased into a smile. She placed her book down and greeted her son.

"The King is here? Come in, sit beside me." She opened the door and took the King's hand in her own to guide him to his seat.

The Empress never had the opportunity to be so intimate with her own child. Although her son was now a fledging adult she was eager to use all the chances she had to become closer.

Rong Tian has always behaved in an elegant and collected manner in front of his mother. For the woman to lead him by hand, he couldn't help but to feel a bit embarrassed. The hesitation was short lived as he quickly threw away any reservations.

"Empress, what is the matter?" he asked genuinely concerned.

"What could bother me now? You have safely ascended the throne and your head is in the right mindset to guide this kingdom. I feel nothing but ease." Then she let out a sigh.

"I'm just waiting for the day Xi Rei will have a sturdy foundation for the future."

"Empress needs not to worry. I will oversee the growth of our army and the wealth of our nation to enrich the lives of every citizen."

"Your Highness," the Empress paused before explaining herself, "I speak not of such issues. Rather the King's heir. You will soon be eighteen, taking a wife is the natural step of a King."

Rong Tian's face froze momentarily with her announcement.

"Taking a wife?" his face was dumbfounded.

The issue of marriage had previously been mentioned by the court officials. Rong Tian would have none of their badgering. In fact he lashed out and demanded his peers to never mention the topic again.