The Hypnotist (COMING SOON)

Hypnosis

noun, plural hyp·no·ses /hɪpˈnoʊsiz/ Show Spelled [hip-noh-seez]

1. an artificially induced trance state resembling sleep, characterized by heightened susceptibility to suggestion.

2.an agent or drug that produces sleep; sedative.

3. the ability to successfully control another being, particularly humans, to carry out bidding of The Hypnotist.

Origin:

1875–80

July 18th, 2008

Police debriefing 6:28 p.m.

Subject: The Hypnotist

Officer assigned to case: Richard Evans

Officer: We’ve got you this time. No more fancy escapes. No more dramatic homicides that send the department chasing a trail of breadcrumbs that leads to another question and trail. We’ve got you. Our city’s finally gonna be safe once you’re back in prison.

Subject:

Officer: Say something, will you? Get that smirk off your face. We’re the ones winning this time. Winning for good. You’re about to spend the rest of your days in a small cold cell. Where you belong. And you, the silver tongued rat who is best known for talking his way out of trouble, best known for, how you refer to it as, ‘hypnotizing’. Hypnosis isn’t real. And now we’re going to prove it. You’re trapped. You’ll never see the light of day again.

Subject: You think you’ve won? You think this is it? My kind officer, this is just the beginning. This is just the start of the fun. You think what I do is fake? I would hypnotize you to jump off a building if I weren’t so addicted to this entertaining game of cat and mouse you’ve been encouraging. My dear friend, this is simply the intermission. The climax has yet to have been whispered about. You can never capture me. I’m never trapped.

Officer: I am most assuredly not your friend. And yes, what you do is nonsense. Hypnosis isn’t real. You drug your victims somehow. But we’ll find out. Don’t you worry about that.

Subject: Oh, I won’t. Because I know you won’t find anything.  I could pluck up one of your pretty female officers, hypnotize her to make passionate love to me, and then to cut her own head off. I don’t drug them.The autopsies have clarified this over and over. Stop pretending to see something that’s not there. You’ll drive yourself crazy. And please don’t; I’ve grown quite fond of your company.

Officer: Don’t worry. You’re the only insane one here.

Subject: Quite the contrary. I do believe I am the only sane person in this room.

Officer: It doesn’t matter. I can go home tonight and tell my wife that she’s safe. That we can sleep well tonight, knowing you’re off the streets. Tonight, and every night after, all the young women in our community will be safe from you.

-exactly one week later, Officer Richard Evans’s wife was found stabbed to death in her kitchen, a solid gold fob watch clutched in her hand-