⏺ Keep Kissing Boys ⏺

⏺⏺⏺⏺

∆ When I was younger, my daddy told me I would never. Never amount to nothing special. He'd come at me from every angle. ∆

⏺⏺⏺⏺

"Leave me alone, Michael." Luke whispered into his shoulder as he squeezed his body tightly against his own.

"Why, Luke? Stop pushing me away." Michael left a small wet peck under his ear as he held him closer, as if it were possible.

Luke squinted his eyes, trying to force the tears back. "My dad hates you."

"I know that, Luke. I know. But it isn't up to him, on whether we should be together. Do you want us?" Michael let his hand fall on top of Luke's butt, resting it for a few seconds, then lifting it underneath his flannel and jacket.

"I want...Something. I want to be happy, Michael. I just, I-you make me happy. And I feel safe with you. I don't know what you want from me."

"I want to know how you feel. You seem to shut me out all the time. I understand that your dad isn't accepting to the fact that you're gay. But it also seems like you aren't either. And I want you to be." Michael squeezed his hip with his right hand. "I want you to be okay with yourself."

Luke pulled back, but his hips were still glued to Michael's. "I am okay. I won't listen to him. I won't. You're the best thing to ever happen to me."

Michael sniffed, pulling back completely. Luke tried to move closer, but he wouldn't let him. "You're not okay."

Before Luke could protest, his lips were pressed to his friend's. And he didn't know anymore.

He thought he was fine with being gay. He told himself it was okay a while ago, back in eighth grade. But now that he's a senior in high school, he hasn't come out to any of his friends, nor has he told anyone in his family besides his father. And, if it wasn't obvious, his father had certain views. He had just recently found out that his son was hanging out with a poor boy in the lower-class part of town. Then, Luke was grounded. His dad knew that he didn't listen, and he was still loitering around with this boy.

Luke told himself he did not have to listen to him. To be himself. But he couldn't bring himself to gain support from friends or family. His dad was his favorite person on earth. His opinion mattered most, and if he didn't care about him, no one else's thoughts would increase his self-esteem.

Michael, on the other hand, lived in a townhouse with his parents and little brother. His mother worked as a maid for another family, and his dad was serving at a two-star restaurant down the street. Michael had even taken it upon himself to get a job and help, but the most he could do was to flip burgers at McDonald's. Which isn't that bad, but his pay is just enough to get him and his brother decent clothes at Walmart. His mom and dad can barely afford rent and keep food on their plates. His parents are rarely home, and he's always taking his brother to and from school.

His parents don't mind that he came out. They were accepting. They just wanted him to bring home his future boyfriend when he gets one. Of course, he had thought about bringing Luke over, but they're not dating. And it might even freak Luke out and make him assume that Michael wanted to meet his parents. And no, he was in the closet.

The pair remained friends. Maybe a little bit of friends with benefits, because they've had sex, and they act like they're a couple. Michael's friends think the two are dating, and they constantly deny it.

Michael would be lying if he said he didn't want to date Luke. And same goes for Luke. But they aren't going to rush into things, especially since Luke has homophobic moments. Not to Michael, to himself.