Chapter 3

That night, after sitting in her room for quite a long time, Jordan came to the realisation that her mother had not said anything to her after their heated argument resulting from the letter from the Italian Foster Care Association.

She needed to read the letter that her mum had received earlier in the day. Without thinking, Jordan tiptoed into the living room where the letters from the morning were carefully placed on the table. Opening the envelope, Jordan knew her mum was serious. She didn't need any answers to the questions she once wished to ask about her mother; all but one had been answered. 'Why'?

'WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME MOTHER'? Jordan shouted as loud as her lungs could possibly let her.

Immediately, the hall light turned on and her mother walked out of her bedroom and into the hallway. The light shone against Jordan's mothers stark white nightdress, making her silhouette look like a ghost.

"Jordan, please don't do this; not now anyway. It's 3 o clock in the morning for goodness sakes". Her mother sounded strangely calm, the complete opposite of how she normally behaved around Jordan.

"Sit down darling" she added.

"Fine, but I want you to know that this is talking up my sleeping time" replied Jordan.

Never before had Jordan had such a deep and meaningful conversation with her mother.

"It all began after your father died. We both knew that your father was the only source of income for our family and the Italian government did not give us anything after he died, let alone whilst he was still alive. In order for us two to live a relatively normal life, we relied on the little money that was left in your fathers bank account". Jordan's mother began....

"But we are doing our best to get by mum, we can't be good at everything!"

"I know darling, please let me continue, I haven't finished yet". "So, due laws regarding sing le parents, I am seen to be an unfit mother who is not capable of looking after a child, let alone myself. Two months after your father died, representatives from the Italian government sent me a letter telling me that you Jordan, had been signed up to the Italian Foster Care Association and the decision was final. I was under the penalty of death for questioning and challenging their decision and I though that it would be better for you to live with another family knowing that you would have a better life and the fact that I was alive, rather than knowing that you had no one left".

"So are you saying........"

"Jordan, again, I have not finished"

"Sorry mum".

"Continuing on, I have strict orders to have you prepared to travel to France to live with your foster family until I am prepared to look after you. Jordan, darling, by the end of this month, you will be in France".

"BY THE END OF THIS MONTH! That's only 14 days!"

"Yes Jordan. By the end of this month. I wish I could do otherwise, however, I have no choice."

So it was decided. Jordan would be moving to France in a couple of weeks to live with a brand new family and she would be leaving her home, mother and deceased father behind.