Part XI: Together

The thunder boomed fiercely outside as we sat in the prosaic Chinese restaurant for dinner. “I come here every so often. You’ll like it,” David said as he perused the menu.

“Hmm,” I mumbled doing the same. I had yet to eat out in this town, and was taken aback in the first place that there was actually a Chinese restaurant here.

“Hello, Detective Loki,” the small, youthful Chinese waitress greeted as she approached our table.

“Hi, Mei,” David replied with a smile. “This is Emma. She’s new here.”

“Nice to meet you, Emma. And welcome,” Mei warmly said. I shyly grinned. “So, what are we ordering today? The usual?”

David’s lips curled. “Yeah, Kung Po chicken for me.”

Mei turned to me, and I answered, “General Tso’s chicken, please.” After Mei promptly walked away, I asked, “So what happened today after you dropped me off? You mentioned something about that priest.”

“It turned out to be a dead end. I had already interrogated Father Dunn once, and thought he might have some more information for me the second time around. To be honest, I always thought he was suspicious. But no dice,” David answered while ripping the plastic wrapped around a fortune cookie. He placed the extra one in front of me.

“Then you’re back to square one,” I concluded. I started to unwrap my fortune cookie, too.

“Yeah,” David sheepishly said. “Oh, interesting. Before you calculate on buying, calculate on selling.”

I giggled. “These fortune cookies are always so funny. Mines says, ‘Listen to friends with an ear to the future,’” I answered and then swiftly ate the remains of the cookie without a care to whatever that meant.

“They’re fun, though,” David replied with a chortle. “What’s your Chinese sign?”

“Ugh, it’s the rat,” I said with some disgust.

“The rat is actually revered in the East, so don’t be embarrassed,” David said as he grabbed a sheet detailing Chinese astrological signs. He began reading: “You’re clever and quick-witted, and have an ability to accrue and hold onto items of value. You treat most of your loyal friends with an extra measure of protection and generosity. Does that sound right? I think so.”

At least the holding onto items of value part was true. I was going to hold onto David no matter what. “For the most part. What’s yours?” I asked as I gently snatched the sheet from his hands.

“The dog,” David replied with disinterest.

“Let’s see here. You’re loyal, faithful and honest and always stick to your firm code of ethics. Your mantra is live right, look out for the little people, and fight injustice whenever possible. Wow, that’s you all the way!”

David giggled and modestly said, “I guess.”

At that instance Mei returned with our food. My mouth literally started to water as I savored the delicious aroma of it. “Thank you.”

“Welcome. Enjoy,” Mei said before disappearing again.

“This is delicious,” I said. “Thanks for taking me here.”

“Told you you’d like it.”

At first we ate in utter silence. It didn’t feel awkward though. I was wondering whether he put more consideration into my idea of him moving in with me. Regardless of the fact that I didn’t know him for a long time, deep down I felt like I did. When I first met him I had no idea the impact he’d have on my life, yet, something clicked inside as if the missing pieces to a puzzle were coming back together. Still, I held back on asking that question again. I had learned the hard way that it was always best to give him time. There was, however, a deeper question that I had the urge to know his answer to.