Chapter 2

Three sunrises had passed, Hawkpaw was lucky to catch a squirrel, a bluebird & two mice in this season of leaf-bare.

Hawkpaw was right at the border that marked the end of his territory, he was lucky to catch up to the mouse in time, if he hadn't then he would have given himself another scene to get growled at & he would have given Reedclan another mouse.

He dropped his mouse under the tree where he put his other catches & turned to locate the next piece of prey around, maybe if he brought home the most freshkill then his clanmates would have food & they wouldn't starve to death which meant that they owed their lives to him, he would finally be recognised.

Hawkpaw's nose lead him to a Flameclan patrol, by the looks of it they were a border patrol. Hawkpaw didn't want to get into any trouble so he crouched down & started back to his own territory.

"Hello, it's Hawkpaw right?"

Hawkpaw immediately spun around "uh y.ye.es its Hawkpaw. Is there something wrong?" Hawkpaw managed to see the dull-grey pelt of a the Flameclan deputy, Stoneblaze.

"No there isn't, but why are you stalking around? It looks, well, suspicious." Stoneblaze had a concerned face on, & showed no aggression.

"Why can't I?" Hawkpaw let his fur bristle "it's my territory isn't it? Or has Flameclan taken more of our territory?" Hawkpaw was ready to spring at the Flameclan patrol aware of what he was risking if he crossed the border.

"Flameclan hasn't taken any territory of yours" Stoneblaze stayed calm "i assure you." Hawkpaw was stunned of the amount calmness this cat had, much less ager to fight conpared to his own wreckless clanmates, he let his fur lie flat again "I... I am sorry, I'm just..."

Stoneblaze nodded in acknowledgement before he spun around & fled the scene with the Reedclan patrol.

*+*

Hawkpaw had entered camp with his jaws full of prey, Tawnyfern was the first to meet him "i hope that is going to the elders and nowhere else"

she said sternly before walking away to sit beside Tallice and Shadefoot. Hawkpaw rolled his eyes and let his shoulders slump, for once couldn't anyone be nice.

he droped the freshkill with the elders quickly escaping before they had the chance to stop him and sat beside the apprentice den waiting for someone to give him another job.

"well look who thinks he can have all the time in the world to rest." Harefeather sneered at Hawkpaw, but before Hawkpaw could defend himself Harefeather continued "he always annoys everyone and disturbs or destroys everything, hunting patrols, border patrols, training, he even mucks up the elders and the ticks. You see thats why you dont want to become an apprentice when his around or everything you do will be destroyed."

Hawkpaw didn't let his gaze wander off the ground, he felt the kits gazes burn into his  pelt hot with shame that he couldn't stand up to the tom. " why is he in the clan if he doesn't ever contribute?" Hawkpaw saw the smallest of the kits, Adderkit meow.

"thats a great question why don't you ask him?" sneered Harefeather, Hawkpaw blinked and turned away hoping that the kits wouldn't ask but they did. Hawkpaw stood and glared at the tom "im sure he can fill you with more lies, i have a patrol to get to" he lied stalking out of camp.