Chapter 5- Feanaro

The first rays of sunlight broke over the towering mountains, hitting the fortress walls. Feanaro woke from his trance like slumber. His body did not reacquire the rest like that of riders or mortal men. He was born from a long forgotten race that came down from the North. They were a strange folk, having a strong connection to the magic that ruled the world. With long lives and fair skin they quickly became the protectors of the cities. Before the great war many of the greatest riders were of the Northern race. They were renowned with near immortal lives save wounds to the flesh. But it was only after the war, that he last of the race withdrew to the life that is now lost and forgotten by many: the Wardens.

Feanaro, the last known Warden, took a deep breath to welcome the day. Getting up from his own slumber he started on his morning routine. Patrol the city, and its sections. Starting with the outside rim of the lower city, moving all the way up to the King's council rooms. Reaching the council rooms, he made a note of the first obvious barriers around it. He then walked down below the city to the strange labyrinth of magic. Picking up the can of paint that he had set at the entrance the day before, he took a breath and walked in. One step into the ever changing labyrinth led him directly to the room where he was wanting to go.

Wide eyes, he shook off the uncomfortable feeling in the old room. Walking up to the center of the room he set down the gold paint and lifted his arms. Producing his golden casting circles that covered his forearms and palms, he magically lifted the paint out of the jar. Moving his body along with the paint, Feanaro gracefully danced along the ruins of the faded circle. Gold paint fluttered lightly to the ground, sparking in a golden fire as he reformed the ancient circle. Ending back in the center of the room, he completed the magic and came to a rest. The glowing circle faded into a shimmer, encasing the room in a familiar warm light. Being able to fully see the room in its completeness, Feanaro looked at the statues of old. They started to change since the last time he was down in this place nights before.

Tearing his eyes from the carvings he examined the circle at his feet. He knew of the old magic fairly well as he tried to summon the circles as much as he could. He knew what this circle was, although the scale of the circle would need someone with great power to operate. Frowning he decided to give it a try. Pouring out his energy into the magic at his feet he let the magic fill the room. A gold haze covered his vision as the circle came to life. A clamor of voices started to fill the air and the statues started to change again. The old stone cracked and grumbled as even they started to move independently. Voices slowly died into individuals as each one just as confused as the last.

"Ay, me body is 'evy. 'Olli! Wadder 'appenen'?" Grumbled a man.

"Hush Max. I am trying to fire it out." A soft spoken man complained.

"Maxamillion? Oliver?" Valierie's voice filtered through a stone statue that suddenly looked like the princess.

"Princess?" The two men exclaimed in unison.

"Gentlemen, please. Lower your voices. Why don't we let the mastermind tell us what this is all about?" A soft spoken woman called out.

"I am sorry Eliza. You are right. Feanaro. Explain." The man called Oliver said composing himself.

Feanaro chuckled "Well I do believe I have figured it out. Princess, this is the room that I was talking about earlier. "

"Ahhh I think I understand. Thank you dear. But could you add some more magic? I can not see very well out of this material." The princess said, moving the stone.

"Alex? Whadda Done ter me?" The graveled voice of Max spoke out frustrated.

"It's ok Max. This is a large casting circle, one used for councils. It's in the old ruins, so I believe a bit more powerful. I think you should be able to move the statues in here, and apparently see through them as well." Feanaro replied squinting at the four statues that now represented his friends.