Day 2: Familia

Here is my oneshot for day 2 of Gabelena Weekend 2017, Familia Day. This is kind of a sequel to my previous oneshot. Both take place after Elena has officially become of age to be the sole ruler of Avalor (about 2 years after the current story in the show). This one is also told from Elena's POV. I hope you guys like it! 

"Elena, are you sure about this?" Gabe asked, sweating nervously.

"Of course I am Gabe. Please trust me on this one." I responded.

Gabe and I have been dating for a month now. Somehow, we have managed to keep our relationship a secret from my friends and my family. It wasn't that I didn't want to tell them. Instead, it was that I wasn't sure they would approve of me having a relationship while being in charge of Avalor. Being ruler has a lot of responsibility on its own, so I wasn't sure if my grandparents would think having a boyfriend would get in the way of ruling.

However, I figured that I needed to tell my family sooner rather than later. I knew they all liked Gabe, and knew that he was a good and trustworthy guy; after all, he is the head of the Royal Guard. I figured Gabe and I should tell them about our relationship, because I'd rather have them hear from us, rather than from some random citizen if news of our relationship got out to the public.

"Let's go tell them Gabe. I'm sure they'll be fine with our relationship. After all, my grandparents and especially Isa really like you. Even Esteban admits that you've grown on him." I tried to assure Gabe.

"Haha I hope so. I guess does Isa owes me one from when I helped her out at the invention fair." Gabe joked.

"Wow Gabe. I wouldn't have thought you'd still remember that day."

"Of course I do. It was one of my first days being your guard. After all, that was the same day were you lied to me amd Isa, and ditched us at the invention fair, after you broke Isa's machine, because you were in such a rush to get back to the castle." Gabe said with a smirk.

"Seriously Gabe? I know it was a mistake and I apologized like a million times for that. And Isa forgave me for what happened a long time ago." I said with a dramatic sigh.

"I'm just joking with you Elena. You know I love you."

"I know Gabe. I love you too." I said, giving Gabe a kiss on his cheek.

Gabe and I arrived by the door to the dining room, where my grandparents, Esteban, and Isa were sitting waiting while having a snack.

"I guess it's now or never." I thought to myself, before I looked at Gabe. Gabe nodded letting me know he was ready for us to tell them, I took a deep breath, and then I opened the door revealing my family sitting around the table.

"Elena! Gabe! You two are finally down!" Isa shouted, turning her head to us.

"Haha, sorry we kept you waiting." I said while laughing nervously.

"No worries dear. Why don't you two sit down to eat a snack with us?" My grandmother, Luisa, asked politely while pointing to two empty seats at our table.

"Actually, there's something I figured we should tell you first..." I said while looking around the room. It's kind of ironic how I've been perfectly fine addressing citizens of Avalor, but now I'm struggling to find the words when talking to my own family.

"What is it sweetie?" My grandfather, Francisco asked raising an eyebrow, obviously confused at what was going on.

"Well..." i began talking and looked at Gabe who gave me a reassuring look before I continued. "I know how important it is for me to focus on my responsibilities as ruler. But I have a personal life too, and I want to be happy to, like how many other my age are..." i rambled on.

"What exactly do you mean Elena?" My grandmother asked me.

"Gabe and I have been dating for a little over a month now. I wanted to tell you guys sooner about our relationship. But I was scared that you guys wouldn't approve of me being in a relationship. After all, I am very busy as ruler and I do have a lot of responsibilities with taking care of Avalor." I confessed.

I looked around at my family, who seemed to freeze at my words. I looked at Gabe, who smiled back, but seemed to be just as nervous as I was.

"Elena, of course we approve of you dating Gabe." My grandmother said kindly, before getting up to give me, then Gabe, a hug.

"Yes Elena. We want you to be happy. Your happiness is important too. I know you are a responsible ruler. And we all like Gabe. If we didn't, why would we be alright with him being the head of the Royal Guard?" My grandfather stated.

"Young love, how sweet." Esteban said. I was unable to tell if he was being sarcastic or not. But he gave me a small smile, making me realize that even Esteban was happy right now.

"Thank you all for understanding. I promise I would never hurt Elena. I trulymdo love her more than anything in the whole world." Gabe said putting one of his arms around my waist. 

"Yes thank you. I promise I will still be a responsible ruler." I added.

"Just so you know Elena, your little crush on Gabe for the longest time wasn't too secret." Isa said with a smirk.

"What?! " I shouted, feeling a blush come to my cheeks. "What is that supposed to mean?!"

"Well, I'm just saying that it was pretty obvious that you had a crush on Gabe ever since he started being your guard." Isa said abruptly. "Just ask Naomi. The two of us both knew. We've been shipping 'Gabelena' for over two years now." Isa said while laughing.

"Is that true Elena?" Gabe asked, looking over at me with a smirk.

Before I could say anything, Isa made another comment.

'Don't go thinking you weren't obvious either Gabe. I could tell you were in love with my sister since the day of that invention fair the three of us were at." Isa added while staring at Gabe.

"I guess we're not the only ones who remember that invention fair after all Gabe?" I said while looking at Gabe with an expression similar to Isa's.

Our whole family began to laugh. I was so happy that they were fine with Gabe and my relationship. All of us could be happy being ourselves around each other. I truly loved my family. 

The laughter was broken by my grandfather going up to Gabe and saying, "Who knows Gabe, maybe one day you will become Elena's King?"

Gabe blushed and I just smiled. After all, I would not mind Gabe being my King one day.