Chapter 2 ~ The Stranger

“What are you doing here? What happened?” he asked. I kept looking away. I closed my eyes and tears fell down my cheeks. He turned my head. “Tell me.”

I pushed him away and said, “Why should I, you never told me what you were hiding? And this is why all this happened!” I yelled. He looked sad.

“What do you mean, sis?” he asked.

“I’m not your sister…that witch isn’t my mother!”

“What?”

“I snooped through your room and found my dad’s- I mean my adoptive father’s will. He said that you knew the secret, how could you do this to me?” I asked.

“Oh Skylar, I…” he said but I didn’t want to hear it. I covered my ears. He grabbed my hands and put them down on my lap. I looked at him and saw tears in his eyes.

“Skylar, I’m sorry you had to find out this way but even though you’re not really my sister. I’ll take care of you as if you were my sister because that’s what you are to me, a little sister” he said. I smiled. We heard the police sirens.

“Nicholas, I’m scared” He sat down next to me and pulled me close. I put my head on his chest and closed my eyes.

“Everything’s going to be alright. Just think that dad’s looking over us” I imagined my dad giving me a big hug. The cops walked up to us so we stood.

“Are you kids alright? Are you the little girl that called?” the police officer asked.

“Yeah, a woman kidnapped me and she had me up there in that tower…” I said as I pointed up to the tower.

“Oh, does this boy have anything to do with it?” he asked.

“He saved me…” I said as I grabbed his hand. He smiled.

“Do you know the woman who did this?” he asked me.

“Yes! I know exactly where she lives” I said then told them my address and how to get her. We made a plan. I told them that she was my step mom and that I was definitely turning her in. They took Nicholas home and I was taken to a foster home. I had said bye to Nicholas in tears.

When I got to the foster home a nice woman greeted me. The police left and a lot of kids were asking the woman if I was bad since I came in a cop car with the cops. The woman decided to tell everyone all at once instead of telling them one by one.

“She’s just here to help” We ate dinner then later we went to bed.

The next morning Nicholas and I got ready for the big plan we were going to do.

“You know we only have one chance to do this right?” he asked. I nodded.

“I know so nothing has to go wrong. Are you ready?” I asked.

“Yeah, I- I think so”

“Good because I’m not ready” I said with a smile. He put his hand out.

“Let’s do this, together” I smiled and put my hand over his. He dragged me away. We called the cops and told them to take position. You see, there’s this forest near the house with a bunch of trees and there is where we’re going to be done with this nightmare. They took position and I stood in the yard of the house. It wasn’t really in the yard it was at the gate. Nicholas went to tell her that I was outside. She ran to the door pushing him out of the way. He sat down in front of the window and watched. She gave me an angry look. I smiled and waved.

“Hi!” I yelled. She marched up to me.

“I thought I got rid of you”

“Well, I’m right here” I said.