Turning three (part 1)

Asher's POV

There was a really big horse, bigger than Buckley and much bigger than Ava, because Ava was really really really small, and the horse was looking at me from the other side of the hallway, very quiet, I had to be very quiet, because the horse would move if I did, and I didn't want it to move, I didn't want the horse to see me, but the horse had already seen me.

It was a nice horse. I laughed. It was tickling my belly, just like daddy did when it was bedtime. It was bedtime. I had to be sleeping, but I wasn't. Mommy was going to be angry because I wasn't sleeping, so the horse took me on its back and carried me up the stairs of the building.

There were so many stairs. Thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands, maybe even more, more than all the money in the world, and they didn't stop. I wanted to get off the horse, but it didn't stop. I screamed; I wanted to get off, get off, GET OFF!!

And then it stopped. And then... and then... and then...

And then I wasn't sleeping anymore.

Hippo wasn't here. I got up and pushed the sheets aside, because they were too hot. I rubbed my eyes to get the sleep out of them, and then I saw Hippo.

"Hippo!" I screamed; I jumped out of the bed and landed on the floor. I attacked the little army men in the corner of my room, and then Spiderman, and then Iron Man, but The Hulk was too strong.

"Okay, okay, you win," I squeaked. I laughed and threw Hippo to the other side of the room. Hulk wins, Hulk never loses...

The door cracked. I looked up with Hulk still in my hand.

"Hey, bud."

"Daddy!"

I got up and daddy bent down to give me a hug, and then I saw mommy. "Momma!"

"Hey, my little three-year-old," she said as she picked me up to hug me. "Happy birthday," she whispered in my ear.

"You're getting so old," daddy said before he rubbed my hair, and I laughed, and he gave me Hippo and I remembered.

I was three today, three years old!

"Daddy, daddy!" I said, fighting to get down, "There was a big horse, and I sit on him!"

"Did you dream about a horse?" daddy asked, smiling.

I nodded and gripped his neck. "Yes! And then we go up the stairs and Hippo fell."

"Oh, good gracious," daddy said as he picked me up. Buckley was licking my feet, and it tickled. "You were such a brave boy! Was it a nice horse?"

"Yeah, but then I couldn't get off. I didn't like him. Hi, Bucky!"

Buckley wagged his tail when daddy put me down so I could pet him, and then Ava came in the room, and we all had one big hug party.

Jen's POV

We spent pretty much the entire morning of Asher's third birthday in his room, watching him play, and having tickle fights until our stomachs hurt. Then he demanded pancakes, his favorite breakfast; Colin wiggled his eyebrows at me and we both grinned, but I went down to make some.

Wait, backtrack on that. I went down to the kitchen. Not, you know, down on Colin... 

Anyways.

(Just my terrible sense of humor, I apologize 😂) 

I returned to Asher's room with his plate of pancakes, and he jumped up and down with excitement when he saw the birthday crown we made him the night before.