Prologue

Prologue 

Screams and yells echoed in Savannah Winters ears as she yanked Cammy out of her sleeping bag. 

"Ugh what the actual fuck?" grumbled a half asleep Cammy. 

"Quit whining we have to leave, as in right now it's not safe here!" whispered Savannah urgently. She looked back over her shoulder, there was no one there. Yet. 

Savannah, an extremely light sleeper, had no idea why she hadn't woken up earlier. All she knew was that her face was splattered with blood and a group of black-eyed men were ripping another homeless to shreds a few metres away. They were going on about a vessel, whatever that was but Savannah wasn't going to stick around to find out. The black-eyed men seemed too engaged with the homeless' guts to notice the girl quickly shimmy out of her sleeping bag and run. Savannah knew how to control her fear; after all, it wasn't the first time she'd ran for her life. The warehouse corridors were stained with blood and god knows what else, it seemed the homeless man she shared a room with wasn't the first victim. She swiftly stepped over scattered body parts; she didn't have time to fall. She had to find Cammy.  

Camille, otherwise known as Cammy, was a year younger than Savannah and had bonded after nearly getting run over by a truck near the freeway (it's a long story). They were both homeless and had travelled together for protection for almost a year now. Savannah had often called Cammy her sister, she was all she had left... And now she was in danger. 

Cammy whined as Savannah dragged her out of her sleeping bag, her auburn hair stuck out in all the wrong places and her brown eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep. Finding a place to sleep in New York is hard, the good spots are always taken. 

"What is it?" asked Cammy, scratching the back of her head. "A drugs bust? Has Crusty Steve been dealin' again?"  

Savannah rolled her eyes, they were both jogging through the warehouse's manky hallways. The exit wasn't that far away. 

"No, it's- I'm not entirely sure but there's a group of guys with black eyes," 

"Black eyes?" 

"Yeah, must be a cult or somethin'. All I know is that they're tearing folk apart, hence the running. Now hurry up and don't freak out, I don't want to die before I eat breakfast!"  

Cammy didn't reply and the two sprinted down stairwells and through abandoned offices. Finally the exit doors came into view; the lobby's bland grey paint had been re-coloured red. 

"Oh God I hope that's paint." Whispered Cammy, they slowed to a fast walk. Savannah was surprised Cammy was holding up this well, maybe she'd seen her fair share of bloodshed herself. 

Cammy let out a blood curdling scream. 

Maybe not. 

"What the fuck Cam, sound the freakin' fire alarm why don't you?!" Savannah hissed, Cammy shook her head and pointed at her feet. One of them was submerged in guts. Savannah shook her head, poor Carl. 

"Oh God oh God, we're gonna die Vannah I just know it!" Savannah shook Cammy by the shoulders, could she just shut up for one second so they could get out of there? Savannah instantly cursed herself, they were on the run from some freak cult murderers, of course Cammy would be scared. 

"Quit it, we're going to get out of this you hear me? We are going to run," Savannah pulled Cammy's foot out of Carl. "Straight out of those doors you hear me? We are going to run like hell and never look back," Savannah held out her hand.  

"Trust me." 

Cammy nodded hesitantly and took it, they bolted towards the door. Savannah was full on sprinting, not much further now. She reached out to grab the handle.