01: Chills On The Sofa

01 Chills on the Sofa

"Pay?" Molly's voice was laced with concern. Payton looked up from her screen, where she had slipped into a dazed stare. "Hey, are you okay? I have to go to a lab." Molly examined her officemate and friend carefully. A few years younger and in the second year of her Ph.D. program, Payton had already demonstrated a brilliant aptitude for neurochemistry that Molly could not herself comprehend. The usually fun-loving and easy-going woman had recently become more reserved and subdued. Molly thought it was unusual.

"Oh! No! Go, I'm fine, Mol. I'm just thinking. You know, about Mac."

Molly smiled, she was deeply connected to her family and the thought of Payton's little brother made her immediately happy. She grinned, "Oh yeah! That should be fun. Right?"

Payton smiled too, Molly's joy was always contagious. "Well, I'm not sure I'm ready to be a full-time parent. Sometimes I feel like I can barely take care of myself." She smirked lightly, "And I'm a little used to meeting only my needs. You know, do what I want. When I want. I mean, what if I want to have someone over?"

Molly laughed and rolled her eyes. "Right, when was the last time someone was on your radar?"

"Hey! It could happen! I'll know when I know. So will they."She winked.

Molly nodded. Payton's confidence and big personality perfectly balanced her petite presence. Molly continued to tease her friend, "Only if they happen to stumble blindly into your lab."

"Rude."

Molly's voice softened, "You'll be fine. And I've seen you 'meeting the needs of Dr. Nicholson. Nothing can be as challenging as that. That man is so demanding." Molly lowered her voice slightly, "He can be like a big baby. And, you know how to make 'PB&J' right? Cause that's a real thing."

"No, you're right! Dr. Nicholson is a little needy, to say the least." Payton sighed, "And, yeah, I can handle 'PB&J.' Worst comes to worst, I've got my phone."

"Perfect!" Molly was moving through the space packing up her materials. "Don't worry, it's family. You'll find your rhythm."

Payton sighed hoping Molly was right. She seemed to be glowing with happiness. "So, you must be pretty excited, right? Heading back to Chicago for Thanksgiving break. Kate and Jordan?"

"I'm so excited. My people!"

Pay nodded in understanding. She had met the women briefly a couple of times over past years and they were something to experience. Payton thought their connection was scary in the best possible way, but at times so intense it was a little unsettling.

"Kate-Kate said Boone is walking now." Molly's voice wavered with love. "I can't wait to kiss those chubby cheeks. And eat! Oh. My. God. I can't wait to eat!"

Pay laughed, "Well just a few more days. Go! You better get to the lab before Dr. Marshall finds you and puts you to work!"

Molly started to move, "Oh too late for that, I will defend next semester. Dr. Marshall is all over my rewrites. On my 'break' I'll be babysitting and writing and eating incredible food. It's going to be amazing." Molly stilled her movements and she smiled softly, "Jordan always knows just what I need."

"Are you taking Evan home with you?" Payton raised an eyebrow. In the time she had known Molly, both women and men flirted with her. Molly occasionally entertained dates and Evan had been around longer than most. Molly dated sporadically and no one ever seemed to measure up.