02: A Snowball In The Gym

02 A Snowball In The Gym

Payton stood in the hallway watching her younger brother Mac move around the apartment. He gave her a semi-glare and eye roll. "Geez Pay, can you give me a millimeter?!"

In a little less than a week, Payton and Macaulay (Mac) had begun to find some rhythm in their day-to-day routines. But, Mac was in a strange place. Already bored hanging out with his older sister who was trying to be a mother, not a sister. He was missing his friends and facing the first West Haverford open gym, his anxiety was building.

Payton was stung by Mac's tone, but she worked effortfully to remind herself that he was having a rough semester. "I'm sorry ... I just ..."

"Fuck. No, it's me Pay. Sorry." Mac disappeared down the short hallway to his room.

Payton sighed deeply. She was happy to have her brother around but separated by 6 years and the state of Pennsylvania, they would need to get to know each other again. She worked to remember Mac's perspective. He was living with their mother and father on the other half of the state when the two professors of Baroque composition and music at Carnegie Mellon University were awarded visiting positions at the University of Munich, Germany.

Faced with falling behind an entire semester and traveling to Germany, Mac opted to move in with Payton and graduate on time from West Haverford. He left behind a team he loves and a high school crush.

Payton's heart broke for her little brother's sadness. She felt like she was doing everything wrong and she was going to wreck the relationship she was trying to build with her brother. At that moment, her eyes burned and tears threatened. She spoke softly into the empty space, "I'm so sorry Buddy."

When Mac emerged from his room pulling on a Steelers sweatshirt, Payton tried again. "I'm sorry Mac, I guess you'll always be my 'kid' brother. I missed you guys over Thanksgiving. Payton's eyes softened with sadness, "That was harder than I thought it would be. I'm just trying to make up for the lost time. And Mom and Dad, well, I just don't want to let them down. Or you down. I'll back off."

Mac slowed and leaned against the hallway wall. His eyes moved from Payton to his shoes and everywhere in between. "You don't need to be sorry. I'm just used to doing my own thing. Mom and Dad were always on campus or rehearsals or lessons or performing."

"Okay, I'll try. Promise." Payton sighed softly, "Ready for the open gym?"

Mac raised his shoulder in half a shrug. "Yeah, it's something to do."

Payton started to move toward the front door. She spoke over her shoulder, "You're going to have a great time. I'm sure you can hang with this team. I wouldn't be surprised if you help their roster out."

Mac pouted, "Great. So they suck."

"Come on Buddy. Please, give them a shot." Pay turned, capturing Mac's eyes. It was a little bit like looking into a mirror. A taller mirror. Her voice was sincere and soft. "I am so happy you're here, with me. I'm so happy I get to see you play." Pay smiled in the moment of sisterly seriousness and said, "Mac, wait and see what happens, give them a chance. I'm here for you no matter what you decide."

A reluctant smile spread slowly over Mac's lips. "Okay. I'll give it my best shot. Thanks. Um, are you sure you want to do this? Optional practices can be boring. I know you'd rather be at the lab."

"No. I mean, yes, I definitely want to go with you, at least for the first one. I want to make sure everything is set for your start next semester. Work can wait for a night." Pay shrugged and half smiled, "And I think I should touch base with the coach. You know, since I am the 'adult' in this scenario. Then if you need space, I get it. But I'd love to see you play and I need a break."