05: Cold Hands In A Market

05 Cold Hands in a Market

Payton drove straight into the labs. She was too wired to go home and didn't want to sit alone in the apartment. She sat at her desk, stared down at her phone, and sent a text.

"Hey can you talk"

"Sorry just need to touch base"

...

"Yeah at movies"

"Previews"

"Really need to talk to you"

"Can call later"

Mac stared down at his glowing screen. His brow furrowed with confusion.

"No hang on"

"Hello? Mac? I'm so sorry. I'll be quick." Pay's heartbeat started to pick up, she was nervous.

"No problem, what's up?"

"Mac, I shared a cup of coffee with Coach Walker tonight." Payton was a little agitated that she felt like she was confessing to a parent that she took some candy she wasn't supposed to.

"What?!" Mac lowered his voice and spoke fiercely into the phone. "Pay you promised! You promised!"

"Mac I just wanted to touch base with her. I thought I would stop over at the open gym and let her know you weren't going to make it."

"Bullshit."

Payton started to become a little more than agitated. "Look, Mac. I'm the fucking adult in this situation. I'm just calling because I love you and wanted, and needed to keep you in the 'loop.'" Pay took a deep breath to try to calm herself. "I didn't interrupt practice. I didn't even see any of the players. We just talked and then I invited her for coffee. Standing in the gym was awkward." Payton flushed at her little fib. Standing in the closet with Elle was a complete turn-on.

"We grabbed a cup of coffee, she talked about the team, really it was no big deal." Pay thought guiltily to herself, "but it could have been." "I'm just telling you because she asked me, to ask you, not to make her personal life a part of team business. She's extremely private and I never should have implied anything about her sexuality. Honestly, she is upset with me."

"Great so now she's gonna be pissed with me!"

"No, no! She would never punish you for my mistake, I think you know that. It will all blow over, you won't have seen her for a month, and you don't gossip so I'm sure it will be fine."

"Jesus Pay! Why did you tell her I know?!"

"I'm not going to lie to her Mac. I'm not going to lie to you either."

"Jesus!"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. It's my fault. Don't worry, I'll smooth things over and when you get back it will be back to 'normal.' I just wasn't sure if you shared the information with anyone else and I didn't want her to get blindsided by rumors. I couldn't bear that."

Mac paused. He was thankful that Payton couldn't see the look on his face. "Um ... Pay ..."

Payton didn't like the tone in Mac's voice, "Mac? What did you do?"

"Well, it's not about Coach. It's about you. Your 'information.'"

"What?" Payton was more than just a little confused.

Mac sighed and spilled his guts quickly, hoping it would lessen the blow. "I kind of told Kev you 'kiss girls.' He was saying things about you, nothing derogatory, just you know 'guy things.' So I told him you were 'off limits' in more than one way."