Chpt. 1 The Meeting

ANGEL:

I walked back out into the store, hating that the final break was already over. I tied my apron and moved to the register before hearing a rowdy bunch of guys near the wine and hard alcohol. I walked the long way around and clocked back into the register. I nodded to the night crew coming in since we were closing and I picked up the phone to make the announcement that the store was closing in 15 minutes.

"Attention all shoppers, the store will be closing in just 15 minutes. Please head to the nearest checkout stand or self checkout station. For your convenience we will be opening at 7am tomorrow. Thank you and good night." I hit the little button so it wouldn't make a big noise over the intercom of me hanging up.

I waited, hearing loud laughs from the men who were still in aisle 1.They still hadn't come up 13 minutes later so I made another announcement. It got them moving and I just gave a polite smile at the 4 men putting beers down and then asking to be rung up separate.

I got to the last guy, he at least seemed almost sober and I heard his friends all call him Jay and that they would be outside because they wanted a smoke.

"Sorry about them babe, a rowdy bunch when they get some shots in them." He said and I nodded in understanding and he watched me as I rang up the crisps and other items he had gotten.

"You're free to go when you're done Angel." I heard the head manager and I looked over before nodding.

"Angel huh?" The guy asked and I looked back at him.

"Yeah. Mum and dad thought I would be good with that name." I laughed at the irony of even bringing them up and I heard a bottle crash just outside the door and looked to him.

"I like the name." He told me and I shrugged.

"Makes one of us. Total is 11.58." I told him and he swiped his card and leaned forward.

"I'm Jordan, or Jord." He said and I nodded as I pressed two buttons to charge his card.

"Good night." I waved before going to the front time clock.

I grabbed my purse and jacket from behind the guest services desk and waved at the manager who was counting down the last register. I walked out of the side door and unhooked my keys from my belt loop.

"Hey baby, want to ride... on my lap?" I heard a hoarse laugh from behind me before a slap echoed out.

"Leave the lady alone." I heard Jord call out and I looked over my shoulder and saw him watching me trying to get his friends to walk away from the store. He slightly nodded when he caught me looking and I gave a small smile before just getting in my 96 jetta.