Chpt. 3 The 'Call'

He didn't call. Selfish bastard didn't call, didn't come to the store, didn't make any kind of notion of wanting to see me again.

I worked for three weeks with no much as a sign from him and then one day, three days before Christmas to be exact, he showed up. Got in my line and waited. He smiled at me and tried to ask me questions but I just rang up his items and hit total and told him the price before he ran his card.

"What are you doing for the holidays?" He asked me and I just pulled the receipt and handed it over before looking to the next person.

"Hello, did you find everything okay?" I asked the elderly man and he nodded and handed over three coupons and I rang it up and even slipped it in his bag for him before repeating my actions.

"Angel... I'm not invisible." Jord called out and stayed at the end of my register.

"Thank you for coming in today." I told the man as I handed over his papers and turned to smile at the little family walking up. By now they were all looking at Jord, and me, and all assuming he either did something wrong or that I am the biggest bitch of all time.

"Angel look at me. I am not leaving until you tell me to." He told me and I just ignored that too. I knew I had a break coming up and someone was coming in so they would take my place. I looked at the time on my monitor as I started ringing it up and saw it was only 5 minutes away.

I didn't get replaced for another 15 minutes but Jord was still hanging around. I smiled at my replacement and turned to head to the break room.

"Angel." He hissed my name and grabbed the flap of my apron before tugging me to the stop. "What the hell is the matter with you?" He asked me and I just looked at him like he wasn't there. As if I was looking through him. "Angel. This isn't funny, it's not cute, and hard to get is really not my type. Tell me right now if you want to play games." He said and I glared at him now.

"A game? You think I am the one playing games? I don't hear from you after you said you will call for three weeks and you just walk right into my line and ask me what I am doing for the holidays three days before Christmas? Are you kidding me?" I asked and shook my head before turning back around since he had let me go.

"I called! You never called back." He called after me but I turned and stuck up my middle finger. "No wonder you're single." He said and I stopped for a moment, a full moment and let that wash over me before I kept walking to the break room. I got inside and closed the door before walking over to the phone to call my manager.

I let it ring three times before he picked up. "This is Randall."

"Hey, it's Angel. I am in the break room and I don't know if you heard but one of the guys in my line kind of followed me... grabbed my apron and all. I don't like him. It made me feel too uncomfortable. I only have two hours left. Do you think I can leave early?"

"Are you sure you want to leave right away? I can call someone, they can sweep the parking lot and make sure he isn't sticking around." He told me and I gulped.

"It's fine. I have a long drive ahead of me. I have to go all the way to Surrey. I have the next week off and all that... but today I had an early shift just so I could make it all the out there before midnight." I said and as he mulled it over I pulled out my cell phone and turned it on.

"Of course you can. Let me just meet you at the front doors and I will escort you out." He advised and I agreed before going to my locker and getting my purse out. I walked out and saw Jord walking out of the doors shaking his head, looking like he was about to light a cigarette and I rushed to the other side of the store and found Randy. He nodded to me and helped me sign out before we were walking out. I had parked closer since I had opened and I walked right to my car and waved at my manager as I got in.

I shut the door, locked it, and couldn't help but look around for Jord again. I didn't want him to see me leave, but I also wanted to see where he was going.

I started my car and drove around the parking lot until I was on my way out before seeing him still outside that one door smoking and on the phone. He looked up as I passed but I only noticed out the corner of my eye as I hit the gas and sprung forward.

I did lie a bit of my manager. I had a train to catch to Surrey so it's on a timetable. I just had to get home, get professional looking for my parents, grab my luggage and head out. And now I had an hour and a half to get Jord out of my mind and look even more okay for my mum and dad.

When I got home I put my car in park and locked it up tight since I was going to be gone for a week. I got up to my flat and opened my door and walked inside before my phone was ringing. It was mum.

"Hello." I answered and looked around my place.

"Hello darling... I just got a frantic call from your friend Jordan. He said that he saw you looking a little distraught at work and wanted to check in on you over the holidays." I froze at my mothers words. I didn't have many friends, but the only person 'Jordan' could be was Jord and  I was not okay with him calling my parents.

"Well I hope you told him I would be just fine." I said and she sighed.

"Well... not exactly. You see I asked him why, and he said that he really liked you, and then I asked him what he was doing over the holidays and when he said nothing I couldn't just let him worry about you my darling, so I invited him-"

"Mum!" I shouted standing as well. "I don't like him. I don't know him. I went on a date, he never called, and he showed up at work and grabbed at me!" I explained and I started to pace.

"You went on a date? When? Was he nice?" She asked like that was the only thing I had said about him.

"Yes mother, I went on a date with him three weeks ago, he didn't call, he didn't text, he didn't even come to where I work, which by the way is where he met me, until today. And he didn't even say a hello, he just asked me what I was doing for the holidays. I can't believe this." I whispered and rubbed my forehead and whined a bit as she started to tell me to calm down and that she was glad I had been on a date and that he was willing to come meet them for Christmas like I had set it up and was taking him with me.

"See you soon my darling." She said and hung up on me and I just sat there, on the edge of my couch wondering if my mother ever did listen to me.

And I had to wonder if I should even go today.