Augusta

Curious.

She has always been too curious. Except for the fact that her facial expression will never hint it. It appears rather bored. She took the napkins and slowly and carefully folded them neatly into a stack to please Madam Beuford. She had a knitting company, that madam, very boastful of its brand and aesthetic elegance. The products travelled their fame and has made a name for aristocrat item. Augusta's mother used to work there.

Augusta walked out of the laundry room with her stack, making long and slow cobbling steps on the beautiful glassy polished tiles of the corridors, the corridors graced by large Windows and their wooden exquisite frames, had the satin velvet curtains put aside. Grey illumination filling in from either side as Augusta carried her load, her hair in two tight blond braids, wearing her grey skirt and deep green jumper. Madam Beuford's last gift.

Her light blue eyes with the concentrated black pupil made them the most stand out feature of her face and with those long penetrating gazes she holds with them, they came across as enigmatic. For example, the other day Madam Beuford's benefactor- Sir Robert Gust thought the child could be psychic as she didn't avert her eyes from his direction as long as he sat in the sofa. He was uncomfortable for many moments, shifting and shuffling in the sofa for the child was only meant to bring him tea. After her delivery she stood quietly, holding the view of him with such arched concentration that he feared the little girl perhaps could see through his skull, The unease of the situation was so much that he was completely startled when Mrs. Beuford glided into the room.

"Oh my!" Sir Robert panicked, spilling the tea on his coat. He regretted it once he realized it- his custom made coat.

"My my sir, aren't you being too paranoid. I would only charge you as the quality demands." Madam Beuford joked seeing his sorry state. Her wide luster red lipstick smile widened and commanded the maid to bring a napkin.

"Of course you would madam..." Robert stuttered in embarrassment, wiping the satin with his own handkerchief. Then he looked up to confront the child who seemed completely unaffected by the show he put up as her former focus on him still persisted.

He gulped down secretly.

"So sir, we have orders for silk and muslin." Madam Beuford began by handing him another cup of tea. Sir Robert accepted with a tight smile and nodding.

"Yes of course..." He cleared his voice unable to tear free from the eerie stare of a child. He nervously looked in her direction again, just a slight and it was enough to send a shiver down his spine. The girl was still staring.

He leaned forward and placed the cup on the table and spoke in a low voice " perhaps we should discuss this in private..."

"Very well then Sir Gust." Madam Beuford replied willingly turning her perfectly tied head in the servants' direction and asked them to leave.

The large spacious living room was dropped to silence after the loud thud of the doors closing after all the servants have left.

Robert Gust anonymously observed the child plainly leave obediently to her mistress with the rest of the maids. After their departure he felt his lungs loosen for breath. Madam Beuford turned around in his direction, her delightful face being benign. "So?" She asked.

They talked of business behind closed doors, nothing the servants had a share of ear with. Sir Robert left shaking his hand politely, partly happy about the business deal he made and partly dazed about everything else. Madam Beuford's estate was huge. Corridors here and corridors there and long stretches of endless rooms- ball rooms, libraries, dining room, study rooms,bowling room, green house. She had thirty acres of land to her name and buildings made to amaze and awe in the whole area. When Robert left, he felt he'll be dizzy from all the confusion.

That night Madam Beuford was lying comfortably in front of the fire in her grand master bedroom, her legs stretched on the sofa. A maid brought her tea to drink as she relaxed in the warmth of the fire, only her face and red sleeping gown captured its orange radiation. She was in a good mood, a half faced soothing look. 

"Where is Augusta?" She inquired before taking a sip.

"Here mam." The maid servant replied stepping a side to reveal Augusta's expressionless face.

"Have you seen Sir Robert Gust?" she asked smiling. Madam Beuford always smiles.

"Yes Miss."

"Well?" Madam Beuford asked, tipping the cup on her lips.

"He brings omens miss." Augusta answered statically. 

Madam Beuford wiggled her feet. "Oh the surprise." she sang to herself.

"He is overpricing for the items in sale. The extra amount goes to fulfilling his ulterior motives."

"Such as?" Madam Beuford toned in. Augusta only saw the back of her head, dark lush brown hair tied to a bun.

"The company he said he represents is all a lie. He purchased deals with a much smaller company, they enticed him with grand amounts to have their good sold to you. And the prices are....Tipped from their scales."

"Such treachery..." Madam Beuford grieved looking into the darkness of her tea cup.

"You did well Augusta. I must reward you."

Augusta remained silent. "Maid?" She prompted her servant. The servant walked out to the other end of the room and came back with clothes, a green jumper and a grey skirt.

"Have them Agusta. You earned it." Augusta saw Madam Beuford wave her arm encouragingly at the clothes.

"Thank you miss." Agusta took a step forward and accepted them.

But they were the events of yesterday. Augusta was a maid in training. she had simple chores around the house but she was a perfectionist in all of them. The other servants never expressed their jealousy but they feared her. Madam Beuford treasured her like a million dollar portrait.

The long walk through the corridor finally ended. Augusta's dainty feet with their polished black slippers stood still in front of the garden house- Another of Madam Beuford's playroom to gossip with the ladies in tea parties. The garden house was full, madam Beuford was entertaining guests- mostly the wives of the other rich lords. The sheer laughter and delight in the room drawn her to the jolly crowd.

"Your napkins miss." She reported herself to Madam. Madam Beuford turned around with affection. "Oh my dear child! Thank you. Please... Could you pour Mrs. Gretchen a cup of lemon tea?"

 Augusta stared back at Madam Beuford's twinkling brown eyes. Madam smiling back very widely. "Yes" She finally said before approaching a golden dressed Mrs.Gretchen to help her with some tea. While she did, she wondered what prize would Madam Beuford have for her once she's done with Mrs.Gretchen.