chapter nine

but you could not sleep that night. both sam and dean were snoring. you felt so bad with sam, but to wake him up right now was too late, you figured. he was deeply in love with his sleep and you did not want to wake him up.

you got off your bed, tucking in your jacket and exited your motel room. you leaned your bum against dean's car as you watched one or two cars that passed by. this was a small town. everybody gets to sleep around eleven. now that the time tells you it was two, mostly whose who came home late was because they were out drinking, perhaps. at the city. with their friends after work.

you hugged yourself tightly. yawning every once in awhile. but you did not want to go back inside. you are not ready to get back inside. you are scared to get back to sleep. you do not want to see cassie's body again. you do not want to hear the creepy male's voice again. you do not want to wake up with a jolt. it almost give a heart attack every time, especially when you see the shadow.

while you wonder what would cassie's family tree could be, you heard someone's thought in your head. it was very peaceful. there was about a girl he loved. about stubborn father they always fight. and then it's about the pranks he pulled to his big brother.

"yeah, i know you're there, sam." you turned around to look at sam, who was still looking sleepy. "come here." you scooted to the side, giving access for sam to join you outside.

"it's freezing," sam exclaimed, still standing at the door.

"go get your jacket then."

sam chuckled sleepily. and the second time he exited the room and stood close next to you, he was in his pajama pants and with his jacket on. just so much like you though.

"you can't sleep?"

"uh-huh," you replied. "refused to, to be honest. i am afraid to see that dream again."

"funny, i just woke up from that dream." sam shoved his hands inside his jacket and hugged himself.

"see anything different?"

"no." sam shook his head. "the boot prints. the body. the knife. the same."

"were you thrown away and you saw someone outside your door when you wake up?"

"yes."

"i can't wait for this thing to be over. though i can't think how cassie's family would do this to her. they seem like nice people."

sam shrugged. "maybe it's not those you knew. maybe from her ancestors or something. it's cursed. who knows?"

"but cassie never told me anything mystery about his family."

"will you believe her if she did tell you?"

you laughed when you realised sam was right. "no."

and then you guys went silence. in the middle of the night, in the chilly air, silence from all kind of noise. all you could hear was dean's train of thoughts while he was sleeping and if it was not about pies, it was about his car, his weapons, about a girl and his memories with sam when they were little.

sometimes, you felt guilty for having these gift. you do not like when someone knew all stuffs about you without being asked, and people too. they do not like to know their past, good or bad. their secrets they would like to keep even from their loved ones.

for the past six months, you learned to control them. sometimes, you succeed, but sometimes you do not. especially when you get panic attack like how you get in the library. you were so worried about things that were not even there and it eats yourself.

but on the bright side, you found a way to solve cassie's case.

you and sam were quiet for too long that sam started to get uncomfortable and opened his mouth first. you were glad because you did not know what to talk about except those questions inside his brain.

"hey, can i ask you something?" he started. he looked so serious.

"go ahead," you said.

"do you mind if you tell me about your family? look, don't get me wrong. i'm just curious."

you smiled. "that's okay. i am not getting you wrong or whatever. just...." you started to realised that if you tell sam about your family, that means you are beginning to let your guard down and believing someone again. but this is sam. the boy who claimed to have the same dream as yours.

"this sounds really crazy you know, but my father told me that my mom died burning up in the ceiling. i was six months old." you never saw it happened. you could only imagine. "but i didn't know i had this gift until-"

"until like.... six or seven months ago?"

"yeah." you nodded your head. you was not surprised to see sam knew, because he and his brother hunt these things. "your mother like that, too?"

"uh-huh. since then, dad has been obsessed to find mom's killer. so it's just between me and dean now."

you smiled sadly at sam, seeing how his mind recalling back his arguments with his father. his arguments with dean about their mom and dad. how he was raised and all. you saw how dean was the one who took care of his little brother while they were so young.

"i'm sorry."

"nevermind that." sam laughed. "what about you? your father? your school life? what were you taking at college? you seem like you love with what you're doing."

"i do." you smile widely with the thought of your great classes and friends. "i am taking literature. it's amazing you know. reading people's writes."

"you must love shakespeare."

"no, i love lewis caroll."

"seriously, not shakespeare?"

you laughed at yourself. "no. ever since my dad died, i couldn't find love again. well, i did once. um, my former boyfriend died just like my mom. but i didn't mind that much because he's too demanding and arrogant. and then i found cassie. but then cassie died. i don't know. it seems like everyone i love dearly in this world is taken away from me."

"yeah, don't take it too seriously because mine, too."

"what happened?"

"my girlfriend jessica died just like our moms. dad died because-"

"sam." you guys whipped around when you hear the voice. it was low, rough and grumpy like an old grandpa. dean stood still at the door, looking at you two with eyebrows knitted.

"you should get in," you told sam. you hated how dean was too protective towards his little brother. you were starting to trust someone back and someone else is stealing him from you. you should not be mad. but you just hate him.

sam left you and entered your motel room. glancing last time at you, giving you a sad smile before passing through dean. you turned back around. dean was still at the door even when sam was already inside.

"well, get inside, will you?" dean asked. "it's pretty chilly out here."