chapter fourteen

dean and sam tied george and brought him to a motel the boys rent for the second night. sam had beaten george pretty hard until you could not recognise him. his left eye was swollen pretty bad. the left side of his lips had a big cut. his nose was broken and there were bruises everywhere on his face.

you recalled back all the best memories you had together with george and cassie. he was fun, endearing and protective. he was the best brother you ever had, even though you never knew if a brother would react like that with you because never had one. george helped you went through a heartbreak with your former boyfriend and you could not thank him enough.

but with what he had done to cassie, when he once said cassie the closest cousin he had, you went crazy. you could not forgive him. it hurt you to see him got beaten up, but to be compared with the hurt he caused you with he betraying you, betraying cassie? forgiveness only was not enough.

you stared at george who was still passed out on the chair he was tied to. you wished you could kill him by killing his brain, but you cannot control minds. you could only read minds.

while sitting in front of him, you saw nothing in his thoughts. they were dark and everything was blurry. you could only see you in his thoughts. those pictures of you smiling either at him or something else.

"(y/n)." you jumped upon hearing someone calling your name. you were too caught in the moment.

you turned around to see sam was already looking at you. he asked you follow him outside with a motion of his head. you glanced at dean, who was on the bed reading a book. their father's journal.

"you saw anything in his head?" sam asked as soon as you guys were outside. he was taking to the nearby mini market.

you think about it at first, asking yourself either to tell him the truth, about george seeing you in his thoughts. but you decided against it, knowing it was not important. "nothing."

sam nodded his head, did not ask you more. both of you went silent for a few minutes until you laughed at yourself. this three days, you did now know how many times you had laughed at yourself and you felt crazy.

"what?"

"i don't know, sam. i feel like i'm going crazy right now."

"why did you say that?" sam stopped you by standing in front of your face. he was serious. you were shocked to see how different sam was since the first day you guys met. it was only two days ago, but with everything going on, it felt like forever.

you wanted to tell him how you felt stupid for thinking what happened to you was real. you were sleeping, dreaming about your most feared thing and that is cassie's death. george betraying you and cassie was only your imagination because you wondered what would you if he do that to you because you trusted him. and you once think to have a serious relationship with george. but now you understand why you never submitted your feelings towards him.

you wanted to tell him how it was bad for you not trusting yourself and anyone. including him. you wanted to tell him how you liked him at first because dean is the copy of your old boyfriend and you did not trust him. you wanted to tell him how you agreed to let him and his brother to find cassie's murderer and kill him because you saw kindness and honesty in his eyes.

also, you wanted to tell him how you do not trust him as much as you did since he started to question you if you were okay. he made you look weak. he made you look like a child. he made you think you are useless to this world.

sam had changed your perspective towards him and you hated it.

"i just can't believe george could do this to us," you decided to say.

sam sighed heavily. "i'm sorry what happened to you. i admit, it's pretty hard to face all of these. the death of your loved ones, being betrayed by the person you trusted. couldn't this go any worser?"

you laughed. "yeah. i just want this to be over."

"well, i hate to break it to you, but i don't want to."

you look up at sam in wonder. "why?" you asked softly.

"be- because i like you."

"you must be-" you let out a breath, almost laughing at him. "you're joking, right? you didn't mean it, did you? this is just a prank because my birthday is-"

"no."

"no?"

"no, i'm serious." sam looked at you deep into your eyes.

"you're serious?"

"i am, (y/n). i like you. like, really like you." you stared at him, speechless. "please, say something."

"well, i- i don't know what to say," you answered. "because i-"

sam sighed sadly. "i knew it."

"you knew what?"

"i knew that you don't like me. and i knew that you like dean."

"i, what?" you exploded.

but sam kept himself cooled down. when he spoke again, he was gentle. "no, it's okay. i, um, can't take it, but i could try."

"sam, please. you cannot like me." your eyes were already wet as you stared into sam's eyes. "and you have to stop to think that i like dean. i mean, when this is over, we're not going to meet again and dean and i won't be together as you thought.

when sam was quiet, you started to cry. "sam, please, say something."

but sam didn't. after awhile, sam turned around and entered the mini market, leaving you crying alone. that moment you realised that you didn't hate sam thoroughly. you didn't trust him not because he made you feel weak. but you only because you were being emotional.