Chapter 1

*AKRITI*

She was set up with him on a blind date by her sister and her boyfriend. She wasn't really looking forward to it because it was her first date in almost two years, but she was pushed into it by her persuasive little sister. Unlike most of the blind dates, this one worked out just fine for both of them and then they went on their second date, then third, then fourth and so on. It wasn't love at first sight but the attraction grew every time they texted, called or met. And soon the second anniversary of the day they had been cherishing all along arrived. They were supposed to meet for its celebration at 6 pm at The Plaza and she was extremely thrilled about it.

The frequent stares on her, the lady in a stunning black gown, were really making her uncomfortable. The reason for the awkwardness was that it was very different from the kurtis she wore on a regular basis. But he had got this as a gift for her said that it would break the dress and his heart to not see her in it and she couldn't say no. Everything was planned meticulously by her and the only thing, rather person, that was missing was him, her beloved boyfriend Karan. The image of how things should go had been playing in her mind over and over again as every minute passed by but there was no sign of him. She called him several times but it was left unanswered. He didn't leave her any messages either. That only helped in making her all the more furious.

"Excuse me madam." called the waiter who was now standing next to her table. "Would you like to place your order now?"

She smiled and politely asked him to come back a little later.

Akriti Verma was the kind of person who wanted things to happen just according to her plan and she always managed to have it that way. The slightest of imperfection could turn her from the sweetest friendly person she is to a psychotic bitch in a matter of 0.001 second. Karan Singhania was pretty much aware of this nature of hers but it looked like he had something completely different in his mind because he was running late and she was fuming with anger.

Doesn't he realize how hard it is to get a table booked on a weekend in The Plaza? She thought, restlessly shaking her left leg. Just let him arrive and I'll make sure he is never late for anything ever again.

An hour and half had passed and he was still a no show. She thought of all kinds of excuses for why he was running late and couldn't leave a message for her. Like helping a friend in some sort of emergency or buying a special gift for her, perhaps rehearsing on how to propose to her.

Yes.

Propose!

She had found a dark blue colored box of ring in his closet yesterday but didn't open it because she didn't want to spoil his surprise and also because he should be the first one to see her face when she saw the ring.

"Hello, may I speak to Mr. Singhania please?" she asked the receptionist at his office who was at the other end of the phone.

"I'm sorry ma'am but he left the building about four hours ago." She informed her. "Can I take any message for him?"

"No thank you." She said and ended the call.

Four hours ago? Where on earth is he?! She thought.

She was pretty sure that he wouldn't bail on her but also dreaded the worst. It took her years to get over the fact that Rahul won't be there next to her ever again and if the same thing happened again she would probably end up giving up on life. Because that kind of trauma is enough to last a lifetime. She was really worried about him. She looked out at the dark blue sky from the window hoping everything was fine and caught a shooting star which brought to surface an old memory that lay in the back of her head.