18

"Alright then," Thomas sighed sitting down behind the desk, "We've given you time to get it out of your system,"
"You've got no right to contain me like this," Britney folded her arms and huffed, "Anyone ever tell you that you're a lawyer and not a fucking D.I.,"
"Hey! You were doped up with MDMA last night and yelling obscenities at Joseph's customers," Thomas slammed his fist onto the steel table, "And conveniently, one of them was me. So, you can either explain to me who the axeman is or you can tell me who sold you the drugs, understand?"
Britney sighed.
"The axeman was made up by our parents, mine, Cori's and Fiona's mother," She began to trace circles on the table with her fingers, noticing her reflection on the metal surface, "It was just to nudge us into behaving better and taking religion more seriously. It worked until we got to secondary school and then we forgot about him,"
"So, you don't think that this axeman could've possibly killed your friend?"
"No, it's impossible. He doesn't exist," She shrugged.
"But you were saying last night...," Thomas flicked through his notes that had scattered across the table when he dropped them upon arrival, "..That the axeman was coming to get you for your sins... just like Fiona," He said slowly before his eyes snapped up to look at her, "Sins, Britney?"
"I was totally out of my head," She argued, "You can't expect me to explain what a high girl was thinking,"
"I'm thinking that you and Fiona got yourselves into some trouble and that Fiona was killed due to this," Thomas ignored her words, "Britney, if you believe that you are in danger, you should tell me now,"
"I haven't done anything wrong," She said almost hesitantly.
"What about this other friend you mentioned? Cori, was it?"
"We're not friends anymore, so..," Britney felt her jaw clenched at the memory of her scrap with Cori in the woods.
"That's a bit juvenile," Thomas looked at her with judging eyes, "Britney, people are dead. Your best friend was murdered over a month ago. I'm not stopping until her murderer has been brought to justice,"
"Again, you're not a detective," The girl sighed.
"Just leave," He rubbed his eyes tiredly.
"Fine by me," She hummed getting up from the chair and putting her coat back on, but she stopped at the door and looked back at Thomas, "Oh, by the way, MDMA takes four days to leave someone's system," She smirked as the realization hit his face and left.

•~~×~~•

Saturday night in LOUD was just okay. Somewhere in the woods Femme was drinking vodka and feeling very content but Saturday nights in LOUD were just okay.
"Why are we here?" Reyn shouted to Cori over the music.
"Who knows what we'll see in here?" The blonde told him, "Plus, I haven't been out properly since she died,"
"I guess we deserve a night a night off our investigating..," He muttered to himself, hoping it was justifiable.
"Let's do some shots!" Cori yelled excitedly going over to the bar.
Reyn just looked at her in confusion. She never mentioned having a fake ID before. From his time with Fiona, she'd constantly brag about being the only one in her group with one. Cori wasn't even seventeen yet. When did Cori have time to buy one since Fiona died? She was nearly always with Reyn. In conclusion, he ended up smiling over at her. The girl was full of surprises.
"You saving any of those for me, Cori?" He gestured to how quickly she was downing her tray of shots. She just giggled and pushed the tray in his direction. He took three in a row and clenched his teeth each time at the taste. Then his eyes fell on her, dancing slightly to the blaring music. She looked amazing. Her blonde hair was silky and shiny, her eyes glistening in the bright lights. She was very pretty. But also just a cool person in general. Reyn suddenly felt bad, "I'm sorry,"
"Why?" She creased her brows.
"Because I never even tried to get to know you before all this shit happened," He said, "Fiona liked to keep me to herself but I ready missed out on being friends with you,"
"Well," She smiled, tugging on his hand and leading him away from the bar and onto the dancefloor, "We're friends now, aren't we?"

•~~×~~•

Elsewhere, it was still early into the night. J's had its usual customers all chatting about the "mental breakdown" that Britney had the previous evening, and, of course, the pub owner who just wanted to erase the memories of it from his head.
"What was she on?" Peter laughed into his pint, his eyes were smiling at this point.
"Trixie mentioned MDMA," Spike said, rejoining the small group with his own pint.
"What would she know?" Peter chortled.
"Mate, you've no idea the type of people she's had to deal with over the past year," Victor gave his brother a stern look before going back to rolling a fresh joint, "If she reckoned it was MDMA, I'd believe her,"
"Whatever, Vic," Peter rolled his eyes, "I bet she sold it to her,"
"Psycho-junkie-whore," Spike bemused, earning a good amount of laughter from the football player and an angry stare from his stoner bandmate.
"Yeah! It's only a matter of time before the little slut confesses to killing Fiona. She's already guilty of killing that magician dude,"
"Shut up, Peter," Ebony said to him as he walked past, on his way to the bar with a load of dirty glasses.
"Yeah, do you want Joseph to chuck you out again?" Victor gave his arm a swift whack.
"I'm only getting in trouble with Joseph because of her," He pouted, leaning his chin against his palm and propping himself up by his elbow on the small circular table.
"No," Victor sighed, "It's because you've got anger issues and you're taking them out on her for some reason,"
"You're just jealous because she's slept with more people than you have," Spike sniggered. Victor burst out laughing as his brother glowered at Spike, not impressed at all.
"That's a good one," Victor could barely breathe as he got up, "I'm going for a smoke, I'll be back in a bit,"