~Chapter 12-Miracles & Apologies~

Scott paced back and forward while Vanessa sat on the red armchair of the hospital, impatiently chewing her nails.

Vincent abruptly appeared in the halls, walking toward them.

Scott was the first to notice and scowled at his brother, "Where the hell have you been!?"

"...Running some errands." Vincent riposted as Vanessa hugged her husband with a sob, and he kissed her.

"'Running some errands'." Scott mocked, but Vincent ignored him.

"Is Leo awake?" He asked.

"No," Scott sighed. "Kid's still in his coma."

Vincent scowled, eyes narrowing. "Where's his brother?"

"Why do you wanna know...?" Scott asked slowly.

"Because I want to talk with him."

Neither noticed Vincent holding a knife behind his back.

Vanessa sighed, "Vinny, I really don't think this is a-"

"Fine. I'll go find him myself." Vincent growled, pushing past the two.

"Vincent!" Scott yelled. "Come back!"

The young man stomped down the halls toward Leo's room, roughly pushing past some people.

When he opened the door to Leo's room, he froze, expression of anger disappearing, literally dropping the knife back into his back pocket.

There Nate was, fallen on his knees at Leo's bedside, sobbing while holding his little brother's small hand, weeping hard and whimpering apologies over and over again.

Vincent felt his heart break. He did feel bad.

/Of course he does, you idiot!/ His conscience yelled at him. /You would be doing the same thing if it were Scott in that bed!/

The young man sighed, swallowing hard. He slowly walked over and touched the young boy's shoulder, causing him to jump, and look up at him, startled.

"M-Mr. V-Vincent..." Nate choked.

"It's gonna be okay, kid," Vincent said in the softest voice he could muster, but Nate only shook his head, choking on a sob.

"N-No, it's n-not. I-I r-really m-m-messed up th-this time. Th-This time, I can't f-fix what I screwed u-up..."

"Kid..." Vincent breathed.

Both froze and they looked right at the heart monitor when they heard a flatline.

"No!" Nate sobbed. He cried, getting as close to his brother's bedside as he could. "Leo! C'mon! Open your eyes, please! Please wake up! You're all I-I have left! C-Come on, little bro! Stay with me! Please...!"

No response for a long while, and by now, Nate had cried as much as he could. He just looked down, a depressed look shining in his brown eyes. Vincent fought the urge to wrap the 10-year-old boy in a tight hug.

Abruptly, a miracle happened and Nate's head shot up as he heard Leo's gasp for air, some coughing, and the beeping of a heart monitor.

Nate grinned in relief, his shoulders slumping.

Leo looked around, and when his eyes fell on Nate, he croaked, "B-Big Brother...?"

Nate's grin grew wider. "Hey, little bro." He greeted. "Welcome back."

Leo's eyes filled with tears and he sobbed, "Nate!" He sat up and wrapped his arms around Nate's neck in a tight hug, and started to cry. Nate had already cried himself out, so he just hugged the younger boy tightly.

"I'm sorry," He whispered, stroking Leo's brown hair. "I'm so sorry. I never should of stuck you in that animatronic's mouth. I'm sorry for being so mean to you. I promise I'll never treat you like that again."

"I forgive you," Leo sobbed. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too."

Vincent smiled at the two brothers and when he turned, he saw Vanessa and Scott in the doorway. They were grinning at the reunion, but Scott ushered him outside.

"Adorable," Vincent said with a big grin. "I'm glad that Leo's alright."

"Yeah," Scott agreed, but his smile quickly fell. "Listen, bro, we gotta tell you something."

"Now?" Vincent asked, dumbfounded. "Is it so important that it can't wait until later?"

"It's pretty important."

Scott looked to Vanessa and nodded. Vanessa sighed as she stepped closer to her husband.

"It's about their parents."