A Painter's Conflict

I walked alongside her, accidentally brushing my fingers against hers every now and again. I could see the side of her cheek from this angle, they were painted red with embarrassment- or at least that's what I've read about emotional responses. What was there to be embarrassed about? We had just been walking, she'd done nothing to make a fool of herself, so why?

"Sakura, are you embarrassed about something?" I asked, her eyes widening at my sudden question. The light shade of cherry on her cheeks had instantly changed to a deeper red wine. It suited her well. The clashing of pink and red pigments making her emerald eyes stand out.

"N-No, I'm just glad to finally hang out with you outside of missions and without Naruto around," She smiled at me. It wasn't like that time she faked it either, her smile this time was genuine. I couldn't help but return her smile with my own.

"I too am glad we can spend time together as friends," I said, but she stopped walking and dropped her head. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No! Of course not, Sai. Just thinking about something," Sakura grinned, but I knew something was wrong. I'd gotten better at reading people, so understanding Sakura was becoming easier to me. I just wasn't sure how to approach the situation. "Don't worry really. So tell me, what have you been up to lately?"

I raised my brow at her change in conversation but brushed it off, "Well, to be honest, I've been trying to come up with a new painting. But I can't get an inspiration lately."

"Just do about something you can't stop thinking about. Paint something that catches your eye, ya know? If it's in your heart, it will become easy to express through your art."

"Huh. I never thought of it that way. I can always try," I thought aloud, as we started strolling around the village again. Honestly there was something about walking beside her that felt right, something about touching her hand with my finger tips that was comforting.

Once I returned home, I gathered my art supplies and set them up by the window. A gust of air flew through once I had lifted it opened. Inspiration...I needed inspiration. I thought about the wind, and imagined swirls of every kind, but even then, I couldn't manage to paint it with passion. Sakura said I should paint what's in my heart...but, how could I? I was taught that my emotions had to be closed off. Every emotion I had was learnt for missions and infiltration. They were never something I truly felt. Except-except when I was with her.

I picked up my brush and dipped it heavily into the red paint. My hand moved carelessly across the canvas. I moved onto a light pink shade, having it fade until the background was a beautiful Ombre of rose red, tulip pink, and a slightly tinted white. There was missing something though, and I knew exactly what it was. I poured green paint onto my palette and swished my brush back and forth into the paint until I knew it was entirely covered. I bent back the bristles, having them splatter aimlessly onto my creation.

"I think I finally have my inspiration..." I told myself as I stepped back and looked at the perfect combination of colors. Her caring personality hidden behind her rough, outgoing exterior. She was perplexing which made me all the more interested in her. At least I knew what I truly felt and that these were my emotions, and mine alone.

I hung the picture near the window, smiling at it as if it was her. I think she'd smile too, genuinely...I picked up the phone and stared at the dial pad. Was it okay to show her? To hint to her that she was the one how remained in my heart? Before I could decide, my phone rang startling me a bit.

"Hey Sai! I was wondering if you ever finished that painting?" Sakura called to ask. Was I in the back of her mind as well?

"Oh, hi Sakura, I wasn't expecting a call from you. But as a matter of fact, I did. I just finished it and I think you're going to like it, or at least I'm hoping you will," I confessed to her over the phone.

"I'll come over after my date with Sasuke," She sweetly said, but inside my heart had dropped to the floor along with the phone.

"Sai, Sai?" I could hear her voice echo through the speaker.

"Actually, I think I just might have to make a new one. The paint didn't dry right," I lied, clenching the phone with the palm of my hand.

"Alright, just let me know when you finish! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Talk to you soon, Sai!" Sakura said before hanging up.

Even though I knew she would be on her date with Sasuke, I couldn't push myself to take the painting off the wall...