Chaper 13

Leigh

~~~

Kara was the first one to die.  The eidolon that was in her burnt up her consciousness.  No matter how many times we tried to wake her up, she would stay unmoving in her cot in the infirmary. 

Many other demigods followed her example and didn't wake up either.  The next few days were stressful and grim.  No one knew what to do with all of the deceased demigods and some people just didn't know how to deal with it.  Some were scared and others were ready to kill anything that dared come near camp.  You could say our security system was dialled up a notch. 

Leo was busy helping the Hepheastus cabin build some sort of celestial bronze wall around as much of the camp as they could manage since the fprce field wasn't doing much good.  I barely saw him except when he took meal breaks, the rest of the time he would either be working or sleeping. 

I helped in the infirmary by bringing water to the demigods who were still recovering from the eidolons.  Still, I felt useless.  For once I wished I was in the Ares cabin because they were guarding the borders that were still unprotected by the new celestial bronze wall that may or may not work. 

Nico came to find me one day, his eyes wild with fear. 

"What?" I ask fear creeping into my own voice. 

"Leigh," He said tugging at my arm.  "You need to come with me, now."

He dragged me to the Hades cabin and shut the door behind us. 

"Nico, what the-" I start.

"Just look." He says pointing to the back of his cabin with a shaking hand. 

Against the back wall, a shimmering figure stands there looking directly at me.  My heart does little backflips. 

"Ace?" I ask.  He died a year or so ago. 

He turned towards me and broke out into a grin.  "Hey."

I walked up to him slowly and reached my hand out towards him.  "Can I..?"

Ace shook his head.  "I am just an image." 

I pull my hand back.  "Hold on," I take a closer look at him.  "How can you remember me?" I recall people who have died and gone to the underworld don't remember their past lives, unless they were a child of Hades or Pluto or whatever. 

Ace shrugged.  "To be honest, I am not to sure myself." 

I nod skeptically.  "Why are you here then?" 

"I just need to warn you, darkness is approaching.   It will fall over the world if someone can't do anything about it." He said in a worried tone. 

"Who can do something about it?" I ask taking a step forward.  

Ace glances around.  "I haven't got much time left."

"Just spit it out!" I yell, annoyed.  "I'm sorry but I am pretty sure the world dosen't want to join you in the underworld."

Ace frowns at me.  "Someone who can bring light, someone who can burn the world bright." He waits for my answer.  "Come on Leora, you have been standing by their side for awhile now."

I take a step back this time.  "What will happen to him?"

Ace gives me a sympathetic look.  "I'm sorry." 

"No.  I won't let it." I snap. 

"Well that's to bad, it's been for told." Ace says.

"Well I can rewrite the future, so excuse me, I have some work to do." I say before turning to leave.  I almost flatten Nico.  I had completely forgotten he was there.

"Leigh you can't." He puts a hand on my shoulder and holds me back. 

"But I have to." I shrug if his hand and brush by him and back outside. 

The sky had turned grey, not that it was going to rain... or maybe it would because the force field wasn't exactly working very well. 

I walked back to cabin three and climbed onto my bunk.  I layed there for hours, thinking of ways to have Leo survive the darkness and figure out what exactly he would have to do when this darkness comes.