Chapter 4

"I should be getting home," I hinted as we were done eating. 

It was around 8:30 by the time we got out and I knew Maddox would be furious with me if I stayed out any longer. Especially if he found out I was with another guy. 

Connor kicked the ground as we walked. "I kind of wanted to ask," he claimed. 

"Ask what?" I questioned, not understanding what exactly he was meaning. 

"Why you were crying earlier," he explained. He took off his sunglasses, now realizing they weren't needed. "If it was because of that guy, then..." he paused, looking at me. "I wouldn't really feel right with you going back to him you know?" he elaborated as we continued to walk.  

I took a deep breath, I knew what he meant. Maddox and I had gotten in countless numbers of fights, but he had never physically hurt me. Madd had a temper for sure, that's part of the reason I call him Madd. "I was trying to break up with him and he just got furious with me," I admitted. 

"Do you have anyone else you could stay with until he's cooled down? I just don't want you to get hurt," Connor protested. "Even if he hasn't before, what's to say he won't this time?" Connor added reading my mind. 

I thought for a minute. No, of course I didn't have anyone to stay with. Maddox and I just moved here from our hometown. I had no where to go. "No, we kinda just moved," I answered, rubbing my hands together as we neared our apartment complex.

Connor stopped at the bottom of the stairs, scratching his head. "Well," he started, but then paused. "This isn't meant to sound weird, but I bet it will," he stopped again, letting out a laugh. "You can stay with me," he offered.

I had just met him. Well, I met him earlier, but I didn't know him really. He always seemed to be there when I was in trouble, which I thought was very super hero of him, even if all the times he came into my life weren't on purpose. I paused for a long time as I contemplated what to do. I guess Connor got nervous that I hadn't replied yet. "Trust me, I'm not going to hurt you," he added with a small smile. "I'm trying to do the opposite really." 

What would honestly compel me to stay with a practical stranger over someone I've known for almost 2 years. "Alright, I guess you have a point. Are you sure you're okay with me staying?" I questioned as we started up the stairs. 

When we reached the top he fished for his keys. "Yeah, yeah of course. If I remember you correctly from the last time we met you were extremely interesting," he explained with a smile, holding the door open for me. 

I smiled, graciously as he let the door close behind him. "And hey, if in the middle of the night you decide you don't want to be here," he shrugged pausing for what he probably considered some sort of dramatic effect. "You can just go across the hall, right back to your apartment," he finished, still smiling. 

-

 I woke up to the sound of clanging dishes and pans. I rubbed my eyes as I looked around. I was still in Connor's living room on his couch. A loud crash sounded as I sat up. "Shit, shit, sh- Oh hey, Corinne," Connor greeted, with a scrunched face. 

I jumped off the couch and ran to the kitchen. "Wait! No, there's glass," Connor warned just in time or else I would've stepped onto the floor which was, sure enough, covered in glass pieces. "I dropped a cup," he explained, holding up his hand that was starting to bleed. "It kinda cut me," he added. 

I waved him to me. "Be careful," I warned. Connor tip toed around the floor where he had dropped it until he reached the safe and carpeted living room. "Do you have any bandages?" I questioned.

He nodded and led me to a bathroom. I rinsed his hand off in the sink and then cleaned it off with some alcohol which earned a little yell from Connor. "I thought you said it wouldn't hurt," he whined.

"Well if I would've told you it was going to hurt you wouldn't have let me put it on," I concluded as I wrapped up his hand. 

He let out a short laugh. "I was trying to make us breakfast, until well," he stopped, shaking his now bandaged hand. 

I giggled as I nodded. "Well, it was a nice effort," I assured him. 

"Would you like to get some coffee?" Connor questioned, standing up. 

-

I had gotten sort of cleaned up and changed back into the clothes I wore yesterday. Connor wore the same jacket but with black jeans and a white button up. He opened the door as we were leaving, then I heard the familiar voice. 

I quickly hid behind the door as Connor stepped into the hall, closing the door quickly. I heard muffled talking as I tried to slow my heart rate. I hadn't even looked at my phone since I left and I wasn't wanting to read all the messages Maddox had sent me or hear any of the voice mails. 

I finally heard some feet on the steps, which made me think Connor would return soon, but he didn't. I waited another 3 minutes and then the door opened once again to reveal Connor. "You stayed in that same spot this whole time?" he asked laughing. 

"I was scared you left me to be honest," I answered laughing as I joined him in the hall finally. 

"Well first I was confronted by your - frankly- beast like boyfriend," Connor explained. "He asked me if I'd seen you and I was pretty sure he was going to curb stomp me, but then I had to go hide in the back forever because he didn't leave," he finished exhausted just by telling me what happened. 

I laughed "Well I'm just glad you actually came back to get me," I responded. "I'm really craving coffee now."

"Yes, let's go get more things to raise my heart rate, maybe it'll just explode. I think your boyfriend would enjoy that very much," Connor replied as we walked. 

"I wouldn't enjoy it. I kind of need you," I blurted without really thinking. 

Connor turned to me, putting his sunglasses on. He smiled, winking at me before pushing the glasses onto his nose. 

--

Wow yes short chapter not much excite so sorry

But I promise it will get better, I really like how this one is going to progress