Pack?

I don't know where to run. I threw open the fire exit racing down the stair to reach the first floor. Before I can open the door to enter, the door slams shut in front of me. I turn around feeling him there. His body basically covers mine as he slowly pushes me into the door. Leaving my back against the door, he takes a deep whiff of my scent and made a contented sound. 

I let myself. Just this one time, take in his scent and enjoy my mate's presence. I know deep down that this won't last. He moves away from me slightly to study my face. His face is evenly tanned, I see no flaw in him. He has bright blue eyes that contrast his dark hair. His face is tight and powerful. I see his shirt tighten as he moves his arm slightly. 

"Mate" He breathes the word deep letting it rumble through his chest. He leans his forehead against mine as if we were long lost, lovers. 

"Mate" I breathe out letting myself lose control only for a moment.  Realization slams into me as I see his lips part slightly towards me. I turn my cheek so he can kiss that instead. He lets out a loose growl. 

"Adaline." He breathes out. My legs shake. There's no reason for me to be here. Maris was upstairs. I needed to move. I had to keep moving. 

"Stop." He growls. I know he smells my intent, my rejection. 

"I can't accept you-" 

"Cayden" 

"Cayden-" He lets out a sigh. I know what it does to him. It's the same feeling I get when I hear his name.

"I have to go" I start to push away. 

"No." I felt his resolve and conviction within that one word. I had the same steely determination when I stared him straight in the eye and told him to suck my dick. 

"No cursing either, Adaline" He scolded me. I pushed him roughly. 

"Get the fuck off of me you filthy mutt," I growl at him pushing him with all my strength. He moves back a few steps. I realize that he moved back so I wouldn't feel bad about how weak I was. I sigh quietly to myself.

"I just-I can't stay here with you. I'm so sorry" I try to be as understanding as I can. I move towards him letting my fingers drift towards his jawline letting it trace it. I feel the sparks jumping into my skin. I give him this moment, but I know I will never stop replaying this. 

"Truly,  I wish I could stay here." He pushes me back to the door. The cool metal contrasts the heat of the male's stare at me. 

"No." 

I looked at him square in the eye. I felt the bond snap into place. I wish I could have stayed. I couldn't risk my new found family and I wouldn't risk the people he held dearly in his own pack. Even I knew how powerful a pack bond was. 

"I can take care of you. Whatever you're running from, I can protect you" He started softly. I knew he felt my fear and paranoia. It filled the air with a sour scent. 

"I don't need you to take care of me" I breathe out, focusing on taking even breaths as I figure out how to reject this man in front of me.  "I take care of myself. That's what I do"

"You need someone to help you. You need someone to take care of you" He insisted. He knew my intentions. He took a step closer.

"I don't" I argue. I sigh. "If you forget you saw me, I won't mind. Why don't you find some other girl? One that won't hurt you? Or bring anything into your life" I say. I mean it. The idea stings my heart, but it's better than the alternative. 

"No." He declines. I give him a once-over. 

"I can't stay. I'm so sorry" I tell him setting myself up. I was ready to fight for my freedom.