The River's Edge// part 2

--

Cheryl Blossom speaks from the podium in the middle of the gym, "Thank you for that moment of silence. Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and every one of you meant the world to Jason. I loved my brother. He was and always will be my soulmate. So I speak with the confidence only a twin could have... Jason wouldn't want us to spend the year mourning. Jason would want us to move on with our lives,"

Elora sits beside Veronica and Betty in shock. She couldn't believe that Jason Blossom was dead. She didn't know him personally, but she knew of him. Everyone in Riverdale knew the Blossom family. They were kind of a legend around here.

"Which is why I've asked the School Board not to cancel the Back-to-School semiformal," Cheryl pauses to let everyone cheer, "But rather, to let us use it as a way to heal, collectively, and celebrate my brother's too, too short life on this mortal coil. Thank you all."

Cheryl steps away from the podium and the students start piling out. Standing up, Elora turns to Betty with wide eyes.

"Dude," she says, "I was high key not expecting that."

--

Later on that day, Elora sat in her honors chemistry class with a frown as she squinted down at the syllabus the teacher had just passed out.

"Are you trying to make it explode or something?" An amused voice comments, causing Elora to look up. She glances beside her and notices that it was the boy beside her who had finally decided to speak up. They had been sitting next to each other for about 10 minutes now, neither of them speaking first.

"I'm hoping," Elora comments as she lets the paper slide from her grip and onto the black fireproof desk, "I'm Elora."

"Yeah," the boy nods, "Elora Amin. Everyone knows you."

"I can tell," the girl responds as she nervously eyes another girl who had turned around for the 10 time that class period to stare at her.

"Don't worry. No one here bites," the boy pauses and smirks, "That hard."

"Funny," Elora rolls her eyes, "So mystery boy, what's your name?"

"Nathaniel," he introduces himself, "Not much of a mystery boy E."

Elora gasps at the old nickname and slams her hands on the table, "Nate!"

"Took you long enough," the boy scoffs, "Thought you forgot all about lil' old Natey. You called me bubba for only 5 years of your life."

Elora scoffs, "Please. Moment of weakness. I came to my senses at age 6."

"My heart hurts," Nate put a hand up to his chest dramatically, "I babysat you and this is how you treat me?"

"You didn't babysit me," Elora rolls her eyes, "You came to my birthdayt party and happened to be the oldest one there," she then extends her hand and lifts Nate's to put it where his heart should be, "And you're heart is there idiot."

Nate puts his hand back where it was previously, "You don't deserve my heart."

Elora smiles at his dramatics, "What are you even doing in a sophomore class? Aren't you a senior this year?"