The Legend

Legend speaks of a hero, a hero of legend.

And for eternity, the hero has fought for everything.

Only in peace has he known rest and reward.

But never in peace has he been challenged.

Yet evil has little respect for happy endings.

Hyrule is a land of knights and champions. It is blessed with life and joy and good people. Its knights are noble and honorable, its kings just and fair. Its princess and prince are the shining beacon of the union of those ideals. A knight of common birth wed to a noble lady promises an era of peace that Hyrule had longed for.

At their doorstep, Hyrule has been pressed for years by rebel armies and monsters. A year after the union of our royalty-to-be's, those wicked armies were cast out and driving from Hyrule's fair lands. Over twenty years later, and the line of succession is secured. Princelings and princesses run through the halls. A coronation is in the air, and the crown will be passed down soon.

In this era of prosperity, Hyrule rejoices life and love and all that is fair. The war is still near, but they are healing and the future seems bright. The darkness has passed, and now is the time for song and beauty and merriment.

But that darkness is not as far removed as Hyrule would like to believe. Stirring, ever brewing, that darkness lingers and congeals. For casting evil out is not defeating it, much like you cannot kill a snake without cutting it off from the head. When that darkness nurtures itself enough, it will slip back into the lives of Hyrule. For now, the kingdom is wary, but not for long. Peace takes the edge out of the world far too quickly, but that is also the weakness of it.

Perhaps that evil will not strike. It has not for the past two decades, and it may not strike for another two more. Or twenty. Or not at all. As Hyrule can breathe easy once more, they pray that finally their wars will be over and peace will at last be won.

And so our story begins...