EIGHT

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ | ᴍᴀʀʏ ᴘᴏᴘᴘɪɴs

————

PETER LOOKED BACK AT ROCKET. "Why aren't you firing the lasers?"

Rocket turned around in his seat, scampering out of it. "They blew out the generator. I think I packed a small detonator." he reached for his small bag, looking inside to see the Sovereign batteries he stole.

"A detonator is worthless without any explosives!" Nebula informed.

"Well, we got these." Rocket replied, unsure of the plan. He grabbed the batteries, moving towards the bomb that was built a few days ago.

"Is that thing strong enough to kill Ego?" Peter asked, standing beside him and Nebula.

"If it is, it'll cause a chain reaction throughout his entire nervous system." Rocket said, holding the batteries against a small box and wrapping a wire around it to keep them secure.

"Meaning what?" Peter asked, looking around frantically as the ship took more hits from the Sovereign drones.

"The entire planet will explode! We'll have to get out of here fast. I rigged a timer." Rocket continued, now tying the box to his back.

Peter nodded, activating his jetpack, and his helmet so it covered his face. "Go!"

The two ran towards the open door on the ship, jumping out and flying towards the core. Once they made it, they climbed into an open hole in the core, falling to the ground when they hit the edge of it.

————

The ground beneath Drax, Mantis, Lexi, and Gamora lit up, flashing white. Tears filled Mantis' eyes as she gazed upon the core. "He's coming!"

"Didn't you say you can make him sleep?" Drax asked.

"When he wants. He's too powerful! I can't!"

"You don't have to believe in yourself..." Drax said, looking at Mantis. "because I believe in you!"

Mantis huffed a breath of air before looking forward to see Ego's face in front of them, opening his mouth to let out an angry bellow. A ball of energy shot out of his mouth, heading right for the four.

Mantis quickly looked down, seeing one of Ego's roots in front of her, pulsating a white glow. She kneeled down, grabbing it. "Sleep!"

The ball of energy disappeared, and Ego's face disappeared.

Drax beamed. "I'd never thought she'd be able to do it...with as weak and skinny she appears to be."

Mantis shook her head, her tears coming back. "I don't know how long I can hold him!"

————

Rocket clicked on his flashlight, looking at the metal at the end of the hole. "The metal's too thick," he pointed the light towards the ground where a smaller hole was, that could fit someone who was Rocket's size. "for the bomb to work, we'd actually need to a place the bomb on Ego's core. And our fat butts ain't gonna fit thought those tiny holes."